Question: Stomach pain/burning

mandalyon - Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:49 pm

I am a 22 year old female, and I have been experiencing stomach discomfort, occasional pain in between my ribs, and a burning feeling through my whole stomach that never goes up my esophagus. My doctor put me on Prevacid for a year which did nothing but give me heartburn when I stopped taking it. I am currently taking Sucralfate for the last year or so. I had a scope down my throat a year ago and they saw nothing. They assumed I had Acid Reflux and waved me off. The discomfort comes about two hours after I eat and it is every time i eat. The only time I feel well is when I wake up and am hungry. The only thing I have seen in my research that matches my symptoms is an infection of the gall bladder. I also have irregular bowel movements, but I consume alcohol often so I associate it with that. The pain and discomfort started about 9 months before I started drinking so I don't think thats directly related, although it cant help. I would appreciate your feedback. Thank You.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:24 pm

The drugs you have been given are not designed to cure your problem but to relieve your stomach / esophagus from the damage caused by increased acidity.

The problem with functional dyspepsia/ GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease) is that in addition to drug therapy you need to avoid any factor that can cause damage to your stomach / esophagus. This includes ulcerogenic agents (including alcohol), stress reduction and smoking cessation.

Before you get into any more investigations I would suggest that you abstain from consuming alcohol even for a couple of weeks and note any improvement in your condition.

|