Question: Pain under right side of the rib cage like before gb surgery

JKF - Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:34 am

I had my gallbladder taken out a year ago and I remember the pains I used to have before I had it done. Some of the pain was just like this. After the surgery this pain went away. What could be going on. I know my gll bladder didnt grow back. I have several gastroenterological problems. Thanks, JKF
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:09 am

User avatar Hi JKF,
Generally speaking, a condition that occurs after a gallbladder has been removed, (Biliary Dyskinesia) presents with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, etc. The following are some causes: spasms, scar tissue/adhesions or a stone causing blockage of the bile duct. Diagnostics, for example, labwork, CT Scan, etc. , ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography) would be able to identify if a disorder exists in the area. I would suggest an evaluation by your physician.
 JKF - Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:02 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have an appointment with my gastroenterologist Feb 15 and an appointment with the surgeon who did the surgery in April. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again. JKF
 JKF - Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:02 pm

Hi. I went to my gastroenterologist last week and I told him about this problem. He really did not comment on it. He just kind of sloughed it off. I guess it is no big deal. It just happens once in a while. He is more concerned about the fact I am having black bowel movements and has scheduled a colonoscopy. I thought I would let you know. Thanks. JKF
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:01 am

User avatar Hi JKF,
I appreciate the update. I am somewhat surprised that more attention wasn't given to the matter, however, your other follow up may give you some answers or comments.
 sue-ann - Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:14 am

I have been having the same problem. I had gb surgery 3 years ago. For the past month I have been having stabbing excrutiating pain just under my rib cage on the right side. I have been to the ER numerous times. One theory is that there is a gallstone stuck in one of the bile ducts.(apparently you can still get them after they remove you gallbladder) I have the same symptoms, nausea, pain and cannt eat.
Tests that they did on me included blood, x-ray, CT scan. These should show up something. Mine, however, are all negative and like you, the doctors are not too concerned. They are doing another test, an MRI, which they claim will tell them for sure, if there is a stone or not.
Be persistent! and good luck. Should I learn of any other theories I can update you.
 JKF - Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:07 am

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry I am so long answering it. I only have this pain once in a while. It will be right out of the blue but it hurts big time. I never had nausea when I had the gall bladder attacks just a horrible colic like pain under my breast bone all along it. I had three attacks and that was enough. When my surgeon did the surgery it took longer because he cleaned out the bile duct. Can you still get gall stones there when its been cleaned out? The pain is sharp but desnt last long like the gb attacks which lasted for hours. I am going to talk to my surgeon about it when I go to him in April. Maybe he will explain or explore it more. Thanks JKF

|