Question: Gas/bloating/burping/weight gain/heartburn, etc.

kaykay - Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:18 pm

I am a 37 year old female. For the past four months or so, I have been experiencing several symptoms that are bothersome. I have very frequent heartburn and I seem to have gas quite often and I feel bloated all the time. I also seem to burp alot. I have also gained about five pounds that I can not get rid of. And usually whenever I eat something, my stomach feels like it swells. After eating, I will feel full, but sometimes after about an hour or so I feel an emptiness in my stomach and I feel a gnawing feeling between my stomach and ribcage. It's hard to tell if I'm truly hungry or if something is wrong.

I went to a gastroenterologist a little over a month ago and he diagnosed me with acid reflux and prescribed generic Prilosec for me. After a few weeks of taking this, I called my dr back to tell him it was not working. He suggested I have an endoscopy. My husband has a friend that has heartburn like me and he said Prilosec, Prevacid, etc. never worked for him, but Axid does. So instead of scheduling the endoscopy I thought I'd try the Axid. It doesn't work for me.

I mentioned my symptoms to several co-workers and they have all said I need to have my gall bladder checked. When I look on the internet at gall bladder, I seem to have symptoms of gall bladder problems. But I talked to my doctor's nurse about it and she thought I would be wasting my time having my gall bladder checked.

I'm not sure what I should do. What do my symptoms appear to be caused from? What should I do - have the endoscopy or have my gall bladder x-rayed? Or maybe both? But which would you suggest I have first?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
 CrohnieToo - Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:50 pm

You started at the right place: with a gastro. You need to follow up with this gastro. Meanwhile, put a 4" block under the head of your bed. Watch what you eat. Avoid foods notorious for causing gas. Keep a food diary of what you eat and your symptoms. You need to rule out the upper GI tract as the cause of your symptoms before exploring the possibility of the lower GI tract causing them. Avoid carbonated beverages, especially with meals or shortly after. Drink water w/your meals and frequently. Try OTC Beano before meals. Try Gas-X after a meal if bloating or heartburn stars. Good luck and God bless. Get back to that gastro.
 texasstar32 - Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:36 pm

I have the same type of thing, though I've only begun to take the Prilosec. I hate feeling like this. My stomach is tender and feels irritated and I can't stop burping. It's annoying and a little scary. If anyone else has been through this and knows what to do, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
 malorin83 - Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:08 am

i EXPERIENCED SYMPTOMS A YEAR AGO. wHILE BURPING ADN BLOATING ARE NORMAL PHENOMENONS IN DIGESTION, IT IS THE KNAWING PAIN THAT TO ME SUGGESTS THERE IS MORE TO LOOK INTO.

FOLLOW YOUR GASTRO'S SUGGESTION FOR AN ENDOSCOPY - I HAD THE SAME SYMPTOMS, BLOTAING, BURPING AND A KNAWING PAIN JUTS UNDER THE BREASTBONE - IT BECAME OVERBEARING TO THE POINT WHERE AN HOUR TO 3 AFTER EATING I COULD BARELY MOVE - THE KNAWING/BRUNING FEELING THAT YOU CANT TELL IF ITS PAIN OR HUNGER WAS A SYMPTOM OF AN ULCER. MINE WAS MISDIAGNOSED FOR **WEEKS**. I WAS GIVEN LIKE YOU, ANTACIDS AND ACID REFLUX MES, THEN THEY THOUGHT IT WAS SPASMS IN MY DIAPGHHRAGM MUSCLES AND GAVE ME MUSCLE RELAXANTS ...

I EVENTUALLY BLACKED OUT AND WAS RUSHED TO EMERGENCY. THE REAL CAUSE OF THE BURNING KNAWING PAIN WAS AN ULCER. IN MY CASE - 2 BLEEDING ULCERS. ANTACIDS ARENT A HUGE DEAL, BUT ANY NSAIDS (ANTIINFLAMMATORIES LIEK ADVIL) WILL QUICKLY FLARE UP AN ULCER, IN MY CASE INCREASING THE EFFECTS OF THE 2 BLEEDING ULCERS TILL I BECAME SEVERELY ANEMIC AND WAS RUSHED TO HOSPITAL. I HAD TO HAVE TWO BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND IT WAS ABOUT $500 IN MEDICAL BILLS FOR THE PILLS TO HEAL MY STOMACH/INTESTINES.

THIS MAY SOUND GROSS, BUT IF YOUR CONDITION STARTS TO DETERIORATE FAST LIEK MINE, YOU'LL NOTICE YOUR BOEWL MOVEMENTS BECOME VERY DARK (ALMOST BLACK) AND COARSE LIKE COFFEE GRINDS. THAT'S THE SIGNAL IT HAS PROPGRESSED FROM A REGUALR ULCER (TREATABLE AND NON THREATENING tho uncomfortable) AND A BLEEDIGN ULCER.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:41 am

So-called 'dyspeptic' symptoms may be caused by many conditions and some of them may co-exist in a given individual (for example, the 'Saint's triad' which includes cholelithiasis, hiatus hernia & diverticular disease).
Your main symptoms seem to be heart-burn and flatulence. Although gall bladder may at times cause these symptoms,these are not the common symptoms of gall bladder disease.
The best course for you would be perhaps to follow the advice of your gastro-enterologist and undergo and endoscopy rather than to embark on investigating the gall bladder in detail at this stage.
 Taek1 - Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:14 pm

I have looked everywhere for answers to my problem, including going to multiple GI's and having an endoscopy and colonoscopy done with inconclusive results.
My problem is SEVERE bloating and gas in my stomach. I am a 32 yr old male, who has terrible acid reflux and prior severe constipation. These days the constipation has subsided greatly, but my bowel movements are usually diarrhea-like.
Anyhow, ive experienced a sudden 15 lb weight gain over the last yr, and my stomach is always bloated and full of gas. It gets so bad it takes over an hour(no joke) sometimes to pass gas(fart). I have to squeeze and move just to get it out. When it finally does, the smell is rotten and as soon as the gas is released, my stomach produces another one that is stuck in my stomach for another hr before its able to finally come out and the smell is again just awful.
This keeps me up all night. My stomach produces more gas and is more active at night. So i literally get 2-3 hrs of sleep a day, because all night im trying to fart and release the enormous amount of pressure on my stomach.
I feel terrible, tired and stressed out. Nobody seems to have an answer. One GI thinks its IBS. But i keep reading online and it seems like it could be ileus, gallstones, pancreatis, diverticulitis, or any other stomach disease.
I can feel the pain in my lower left abnomial area, between the waistline and private part(penis). It feels like my colon or whatever organ that produces and releases gas is being choked, like something is wrapped around it and obstructing the proper flow of gas.
I had a concussion while snowboarding, and while at the hospital i was given an ultrasound and they found that i had an inguinal hernia. I thought that this might be the cause, so i had surgery on it, but it didnt help.
Can anybody please tell me how to get rid of this terrible problem? Does anybody have any idea what this could be?
Thank you for taking the time and reading this and i hope somebody can answer me.
 ivaf - Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Pain in groins, loosing hair, belching, flatus, burning in mouth
I am 45 woman, high 165 cm,72 kg, divorced, no children. I am working in office.
It starts in October 2009, I was sick. It was during one night. I had upset my stomach,
I had problems of often belching. I cured it by diet no spicy, no fat, no sugar.
But I did not help. I visited doctor and I had an endoscopy of stomach. I used to pantoprazole 40 mg. I started problem with flatulency and loosing my hears. My hears are more thiner. It seems that I lost muscles. My groins hurt. I have feel something as warm in my mouth. This burning feeling is not going from stomach, it is only in my mouth. It is as high temperature in my mouth. Sometimes I feel taste of food in my stomach in 3 hours after food. I had other checkup, all is negative, I am not menopause, my thyroid gland is ok.
 ysedw - Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 am

Thank you everyone for sharing. I have the same symptoms as mentioned and researching solutions.

Burning, Heartburn in abdomen area, bloating, ab cramping or acidy feeling

I have been on Florastor & Zantac generic. Those have helped reduced the symptoms.

I have tried peanut butter,protein,milk,banana shakes which help ease the pain.

|