News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Colon CLeanse Info?

Quillary - Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 pm

Hello and thank you,
I am a female in my late 20's with a family history of colon
cancer. I have very inconsistant bm's and wonder if a colon cleanse would be good for me. I have gone a very long time without a bm in the past and I often have lower cramping and gas. Over the counter medicines give me diarhea, but don't help in the long run. Does insurance cover it, if not how much are they, do they hurt, is there cramping? What is the procedure and what is it like. Thank you very much!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:02 am

User avatar Hi Quillary,
Increasing dietary fiber either by foods, ie, eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and intake of appropriate recommendated amounts of water, or fiber supplementation will assist in regulating bowel movements and reduce episodes of constipation. The problems with over the counter remedies, when used often, makes the body essentially dependent. The digestive tract function when the usage is stopped, episodes of constipation seem to worsen. I would be reluctant to suggest using a colon cleanse product as this is essentially only a temporary remedy and not a long term solution. Discuss with your physician prior to using any such product and inquire about some nutritional information so that your digestive system will become more regular.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:21 am

User avatar Hello,

I agree with Theresa,

Medically, constipation is defined as three bowel movements or less per week.
Identifying the underlying cause is the mainstay of treatment.

This necessitates, careful medical history, complete physical examination and different investigations.

In general individual who have constipation are encouraged to:
- Increase their physical activity and to excercise regularly.
- Take more fiber containing food, like vegetables and fruits. The increase in fiber should be gradually and accompanied with increased amount of water intake to avoid excess Gas.

-Laxative are used if these measures fails, and should be prescribed by doctors or health care professionals.

Hope you find this information useful. Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here