Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Focal Nodular Hyperplasia

onca85 - Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:08 am

i started taking depo provera when i was 14 and had to stop at 19 when my doctor found a tumor on my liver known as focal nodular hyperplasia. it is about 5 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm on my right liver. i read on a website that you cannot have children because of the risk of it rupturing causing internal bleeding. I want to have children of my own one day, so this causes a problem. Is there anyway I can convince my doctor to remove the lobe, as he said it is also attached to a major vein in my liver.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:45 am

User avatar Hi onca85,
I would suggest an evaluation by a Gastroenterologist or more specifically a Hepatologist if one of these specialties are available in your area. Don't jump to conclusions about the reliability of an internet based source regarding pregnancy and the benign tumor focal nodular hyperplasia instead of the evaluation of a specialist.
 onca85 - Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:19 pm

thank you, i have seen my gastroenterologist and I know that a second opion is needed.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:56 am

Let me catagorically tell you that "Focal nodular hyperplasias" of the liver have no tendency to rupture or turn malignant and they are not related to oral contraceptives.

Resection of this tumour is often advised because it is difficult to distinguish from hepatic adenoma.

Hepatic adenomas on the other hand are related to oral contraceptives and have a tendency to rupture especially during pregnancy.

As you have been rightly advised by Theresa Jones RN already, you must consult your gastroenterologist and decide on the future management strategy.

Good luck!

|