Question: Pain in left side.

positively simple - Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:32 am

Hello. I am writing this out of concern for my girlfriend. She is 16 and has not seen a doctor on this matter as of yet. I don't belive she has ever had any surgeries, and I am unsure of her family history. She is not on any medications. The pain she is exspierencing is the same as the pain you get in your side while running, although she is not running when the pain occurs. The pain started a few months ago and at first ony came once maybe twice per week. This week however the pain has become more often and more intense. Coming on a daily basis and sometimes makeing it hard for her to even get out of bed. She is healthy in all other respects as far as i can tell she is of a slim build and is faily active. If any other information is needed just post and I will repy with an answer as soon as possible any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Justin
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:58 pm

Left upper quadrant pain is commonly associated with colonic diseases or splenic diseases. The spleen may be enlarged or may be the seat of an infarction. Diseases of the colon may include anything from distension of the splenic flexure of the colon as in cases of irritable bowel syndrome to colonic cancer. It could also be related to abdominal wall.

Since her pain is progressing in intensity and frequency, I would suggest she go to the doctor to have it checked out.

|