Question: gallbladder or something else?

nikki5 - Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:03 pm

Hello there,

Before christmas i went to the doctors with what the doctor thought was gallbladder pain, i had about 4 episodes of this pain in total, had an abdominal scan that showed gallstones and have been placed on the waiting list to the gallbladder out. I have not had pain in that same upper abdominal pain in quite some time but instead after eating a normal sized meal or even just a packet of jellybeans, my stomache bloats something horrible, i look pregnant (witch im not) and it feels very uncomfortable. i went to the doctor and he said there is acid in my stomach, wen i asked if it was gallbladder related he didnt seem to sure but gave me some pills, losec, witch ive been taking for a month but arent noticing any difference.. do you know, is this common with gallbladder issues?
I am at the low end of my weight range and have been advised not to loose weight as i had been on a diet and now reached my goal but im struggling to maintain my current weight because i don't want to eat due to the bloatedness.. i also get lower abdominal pain sometimes, like cramping... not sure if this is any help but i seem to go from constipation to diareah where i HAVE to go to the bathroom quick smart.. any ideas??

thank you :)
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:27 pm

Chronic abdominal distention or bloating are commonly associated with an underlying functional gastrointestinal disorder, eg, irritable bowel syndrome or nonulcer dyspepsia.

Irritable bowel syndrome may cause nonspecific, diffuse, crampy pain that is accompanied by bloating and occasionally by nausea. The pain is accompanied by altered bowel habits and is usually relieved by bowel movements. In most patients, constipation or diarrhea is the predominate symptom, and in some patients the two symptoms alternate. Mucus may be present in the stool. Symptoms are often aggravated by emotional stress.

Therapy for irritable bowel syndrome is guided by symptoms. Dietary fat may delay intestinal gas clearance, hence reducing fat in the diet may be helpful.

nikki5 - Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:04 am

Hello, thank you for your reply Dr. Tamer.. things have changed slightly since that post and im wondering if you could clear a couple of things up for me and give me your opinion..

I have been extreamly tired latley and went to see my gp a week or so ago, my main complaints were triedness and the bloating that i mentioned in my last post, those were my main concerns as the bloating has me not wanting to eat.. if i eat normal for one day i spend the next 3 eating only apples so that it goes away.. i have also been getting lower abdominal pain and at the time thta i went to the doctor it was on the lower left, but now seems to be the right as well and sometimes it seems to be right where my bellybutton is.. 7 years ago i had a resection for crohns disease and have had no symptoms since that time, the doctor thinks it could be that, he did some blood tests and it came back that i ha ve low iron but the test that tests for crohns wont be back until april, what im wondering is.. if it were crohns disease, wouldnt it hurt when i ate? i havent noticed it hurting wen i eat, it actually seems worse when i havent eatin anything, when i was first diagnosed with crohns i spent months vomiting and in horrible pain all the time but no diarreah, witch i have now had for about 5 days but i think thats slowing down.. is bloating a symptom of crohns? i have an appointment with a surgion about the gallbladder in a weeks time and geez i have no idea what pains are related to what! any ideas ? these stoamahe pains are not so bad that i cant handle, infact wen i saw the dr i didnt have them at that time until he pressed on my stomache, then it hurt.. do u think it could be crohns ?
 nikki5 - Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:12 am

sorry i also forgot to ask... Is it normal if when u push on your stomache it hurts? hehe that sounds silly but as i said my stomach wasnt sore but it was wen the doc pushed on it, that day it was just the left side, he said was my large colon, ive tried doin that to myself and the left right and middle of my lower abdomon hurts if i push on it, but b'cos i don't usually push on my own stomache, im not sure if that woud usually be the case??
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:04 am

The symptoms of abdominal pain and discomfort are not reliable and hence the need for lab investigations. If these symptoms were more reliable your doctor would not need to ask for tests.

Unfortunately, we won't know for sure whether you have Chron's or not until the results come out. It will not be very useful for you to try to analyze your symptoms as these can occur as a result of almost anything and do not follow a strict pattern.

|