News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Laxative Addiction

janeshcherba - Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi there,

Basically I started taking laxatives 7 years ago to help me loose weight. Before that always had normal bowel movements. Now I finally disided to stop taking them realizing how dangerous it is for me. But I cannot have bowel movement without the laxatives. I guess my colon muscles are so impared and are not used to working on there own. Will I ver be able to go to the restroom on my own? How long might it take? I'm quiting cold turkey because I know if I just reduce my doze I will keep taking them and taking them. Please help. Also what can I take while quiting to maybe help me have a bowel movement. Thank you much.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:03 pm

User avatar Dear janeshcherba

Its truly a misconception that taking a laxative will help reduce the weight. The fact is that they help maybe shrinking the excess water , but never the fat.

this is true because by the time the body absorbs the laxative, the fat you have eaten has been already absorbed by the body.

Any ways, have you even tried to increase your fiber and water intake. if you already have tried that, there are fiber containing supplements that are available, usually next to laxative section, but they remain to be a better choice. Other than that, increasing your fluid intake, and prune juice has worked for many patients...even trying dry fruits might help

Thank you very much, and i wish you the best.

Take care

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here