Question: Laxative Addiction

janeshcherba - Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi there,

Basically I started taking laxatives 7 years ago to help me loose weight. Before that always had normal bowel movements. Now I finally disided to stop taking them realizing how dangerous it is for me. But I cannot have bowel movement without the laxatives. I guess my colon muscles are so impared and are not used to working on there own. Will I ver be able to go to the restroom on my own? How long might it take? I'm quiting cold turkey because I know if I just reduce my doze I will keep taking them and taking them. Please help. Also what can I take while quiting to maybe help me have a bowel movement. Thank you much.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:03 pm

User avatar Dear janeshcherba

Its truly a misconception that taking a laxative will help reduce the weight. The fact is that they help maybe shrinking the excess water , but never the fat.

this is true because by the time the body absorbs the laxative, the fat you have eaten has been already absorbed by the body.

Any ways, have you even tried to increase your fiber and water intake. if you already have tried that, there are fiber containing supplements that are available, usually next to laxative section, but they remain to be a better choice. Other than that, increasing your fluid intake, and prune juice has worked for many patients...even trying dry fruits might help

Thank you very much, and i wish you the best.

Take care

|