News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Blood in stools

mommyof3babies - Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:03 pm

I am 29 years old. I went to the bathroom 2 days ago and it was really hard and then there was blood in the toilet afterwards. Well last night I went again it wasn't as hard but still there was blood again. Tonight I went again and still more blood. It is bright red.
I have a hard time going every once and a while maybe twice a month. i went to the dr a couple years ago because I could not go and she gave me some medicine for IBS but my insurance didnt cover it so I din't get.But after that I was fine until I was pregnant with my third child. Then it started again. Now maybe once a month I get blood in my stools.
Does anyone have any idea what it may be? Any help will be appreciated. thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:46 am

User avatar Hi mommyof3babies,
There are many different reasons that blood may appear in bowel movements. Small amounts of bright red blood typically indicates a bleed in the lower digestive tract commonly associated with (but not limited to) for example hemorrhoids, anal fissures, polyps, etc. Changes in diet, fluid intake, increases in fiber, if the bleeding is associated to the above mentioned conditions (hemorrhoids-internal/external, anal fissures) are generally helpful. Any rectal bleeding should be evaluated by your physician to identify the underlying cause.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 mommyof3babies - Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:54 pm

I went to the ER today because the bleeding was worse. They examined me and it was a 1/4 inch tear. So that is a relief that it was nothing more serious.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:08 am

User avatar Hi mommyof3babies,
I am glad to hear you went in for an evaluation. Some of the treatments for anal fissures (rectal tears) may include adding fiber to the diet (to reduce constipation), appropriate fluid intake, sitz baths, anesthetic creams, and nitroglycerin assists in healing of fissures. Our best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here