Question: Queston on HIDA Scan Today???

motherof3 - Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:12 pm

I am a 37yo Female that has been having stomach pains thought to be gallbladder. I am currently taking Dilaudid, Bentyl, and Reglan as needed to control flare ups.

I had my HIDA scan today and after the injection of Kenevac, I had the nausea, but did not have any cramps. The tech kept asking if I was having any, but only the nauea happened. He informed me that after about 4 hours I would start cramping, and sure enough about 3 hours after getting home, I was bent over in pain.

Can anyone offer me some advice as to what this may be? Gallbladder or not Gallbladder?
Thank You
Janice
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:59 am

User avatar Hi motherof3,
Have the medications helped with alleviating flare ups? During a HIDA Scan a scanner monitors the radioisotope that was initially injected. When (CCK) cholecystokinin, a hormone that's normally released by the body after a meal, is injected, the contraction of the gallbladder is identified on the scan. Reduced contraction (which often produces pain) may mean anything from actual gallbladder disease/dysfunction, to inflammation or scarring. An ejection fraction of 40% or less is abnormal. The physician will evaluate whether removal of the gallbladder (Cholecystectomy) is recommended based on your symptoms and diagnostic findings of this particular test.
 motherof3 - Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:30 am

Theresa,
To answer your quetions on the meds, yes, they usually do help when I am in a flare. I was just so irritated with the tech yeterday because he kept asking me if I was cramping and then kept saying hmmm lol.

Thank you for your reply as it put my mind at ease. I am fine as long as I do not eat anything greasy, fried, or dairy and have lost now 16 pounds in the last 2 weeks, so I am ready to find out what exactly is going on.

Thanks Again,
Janice
 motherof3 - Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:32 am

I guess I should have stated this earlier. Why didn't I have any cramping upon administration of the CCK but had the cramping 3 hours after the scan was completed? Does this signify a potential blockage?

Janice
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:53 am

User avatar Hi motherof3,
You may have experienced this type of pain later than expected due to a sluggish gallbladder, just maybe not at the 40% or less ejection fraction that would possibly warrant a Cholecystectomy. You may actually have more than just one specific problem going on. I noticed that you stated that you also experience symptoms when you consume dairy products. Has any Lactose intolerance been suggested? A 16 pound weight loss is a significant amount in a short amount of time. Your physician should be able to provide an explanation of the HIDA Scan results as well as the possibility of Lactose intolerance and be sure you bring to his/her attention about the weight loss, as I said that is significant amount, especially if it was unintentional.
 motherof3 - Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:06 pm

Theresa,
Lactose Intolerance has in fact been ruled out. I have mentioned this to my PCP and he was a bit concerned and that with the pain was what warrented the HIDA scan to be done. I have been living on Ramen noodles and jello for the past 2 weeks which is alot of the weight loss, because if I eat anything else, I am in pain within an hour of ingestion. I have no clue what is going on, but am sick and tired of being sick and tired lol.

I was just really concerned at not having any cramping during the CCK injection but had cramping 3 hours later. Could this signify a possible blockage by chance? Sorry, I am grasping at straws here trying to understand all of this.
Janice
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:13 pm

Sometimes it takes longer for cholecystokinin to cause gall bladder contraction and for you to experience the pain. It is not a reliable estimate of the outcome of your test.

When the results are out the ejection fraction if < 40 would suggest cholecystitis, as Theresa has pointed out. Nonvisualization of the gall bladder altogether would suggest obstruction.

I am afraid we will have to wait till the results of the test come out. No conclusions can be made until then.

Do keep us updated.

motherof3 - Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:57 pm

I just called and got informed that the ejection fraction is 49.6% so I am to assume that this is within the normal ranges? Also was informed that there was something else on the scan that was abnormal but I won't find out what that is untill tomorrow afternoon. Any thoughts on what else with that area that may be abnormal on a scan?
Janice
 motherof3 - Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:31 am

Dear Dr and Theresa,
I was found to have a blockage of my lower bile duct. They are scheduling me in for the MRI of that area. I have had MRI's of the head and neck is this the same type of scan or is there more to it than that?

Also, since a blockage has been determined, how is it removed? Via the gastro thing or through actual surgery and is the gallbladder removed then as well?

Thank You
Janice

P.S. Is this why I am itching so badly all the time and everything I wear itches like crazy?
 babygirl8679 - Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:34 am

Hello I noticed you have symptoms alot like mine I went through a slew of tests for nausea and right upper quad pain the only one that came back a little abnormal was gallbladder ejection fraction of 48% doctor wants to repeat the test in 6 weeks now and I am a little skeptical about going back to get it done because it caused intense pain and nausea that it scared me and I don't want to go through that again to find out that it is still functioning the same and they wont touch it until its 40 or under. I have lost 25 lbs because of pain and nausea I hope you have a better outcome Good luck

|