News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Lower Abdominal Pain with mucousy/oily Bms

amazing_gracie - Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:49 pm

I am a 49 yr old female with a history of GERD, HTN, Depression, and Osteoarthritis. Ive had a total hysterectomy 13 years ago, and a knee arthroscopy 2 years ago. My Grandfather had colon cancer, Father had cancer of the brain and passed away at the age of 45, Mother had lung cancer and passed away at 77. I have a brother with diabetes, juvenile onset, sister with emphyesema, another brother with antiphosholipid antibody syndrome and he has suffered a stroke as a result of that. My current medications include estrace 2mg qd,celebrex 200mg qd, nexium 40 mg qd, lisinopril 10 mg qd,provigel 200mg qd, sonata 10 mg qd @HS prn, and celexa 20mg qHS. Over the past 6 months I have had frequent episodes (at least every 2 weeks) of severe lower abdominal cramping/pain with diarrhea. When I have these episodes the stool frequently looks mucusy and oily and sometimes have bright blood attached to them, and float. These episodes usually last 1-2 days and then go away as spontaneously as they began. I then return to having normal bowel function with regular BM's 1-2 times a day. Could this possibly be irritable bowel syndrome, or should I seek out a gastro consult.
Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:51 pm

User avatar Hello,

Yes it could be irritable bowel syndrome. The description of oily stools could also point to steatorrhea or malabsorption. I think you should consult a gastroenterologist.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here