News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Bad stomach flu followed by total loss of hunger.....advice?

SlipStream7 - Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:36 pm

Sex: Male
Past Diagnoses: High cholesterol
Past Surgeries: Club foot operation (Doesn't really apply here)
Family History: Diabetes and high cholesterol (I don't have diabetes)
Current Medications: Zetia 10 mg

3 days ago (wednesday at around 8 PM) I had a pretty bad stomach flu. It involved vomiting once or twice every half hour. The urge to vomit returned every half hour, and although I could hold it back for as long as I wanted to by breathing deeply and concentrating, I didn't go more than an hour without vomiting. It was often extremely painful because everytime I got the initial "spasm" that begins a "session" it put a lot of pain into my stomach muscles and stomach area in general. It lasted all night until around 5-6 AM thursday morning, I got maybe an hour of sleep. Anything I drank, not matter how small it was, was gone by the time it was all over. I spent the next day trying to recover. I experienced a headache and muscle aches in most of my major muscles (biceps, triceps, hamstrings), but I did eat a little bit.

Fast forward to today. After the flu I haven't eaten much, maybe in total enough to equal one typical meal. I'm just not hungry, I don't feel the urge to vomit, but I'm always feeling extremely full, even though I've had such a long time to digest the small amount of food in my stomach. I had diarrhea once, yesterday. I'm worried because I know I should be eating, yet I can't stand the sight of food now. I can eat things, but only if they're small and even with that much I usually don't finish them (I couldn't finish a peanut butter sandwich). I'm 138 lbs. Should I just give my body more time to recover or is there something I should see a doctor about? Is there anything I can do to restore my hunger or help along my recovery? Thank you, I'm anxiously awaiting your replies.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:59 pm

User avatar Hello,

I am glad you are begining to get better. I think you just need to give yourself time to get better.

I would recommend a bland diet. Frequent small potions are better than nothing at all. Try to drink lots of fluids especially those containing glucose to restore your energy (avoid soda, xanthene containing drinks, or alcohol).

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here