News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Narrow Stool

janeshcherba - Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi there.

Basically I had a laxative addiction for years. Recentlly I finally quite and cna have bowle movement son my owen, however my stool is very narrow. I had a colonoscopy done resentlly and the doctor didn't find anythign, no polyps no nothing. What could be causing my narrow stool?

Thank You
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:12 pm

User avatar Hello,

Any change in stool shape or caliber needs to be evaluated for polyps or colon cancer. A colonoscopy would be the best test to evaluate for these possibilities. I am glad yours turned out to normal.

Other considerations would be inflammatory bowel disease which would also be evaluated during the colonoscopy. If all the tests are non-revealing, you can consider treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. Changes in diet can also be considered to change the softness of the stools.

Best regards.
 janeshcherba - Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:27 am

thank you much for your response, but I don't really have symtops of IBS. Could it be anal cancer?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:57 am

User avatar It would most likely have shown up in a recent examination. I cannot exclude anything here, our main mission is to try to explain.

Best regards.
 janeshcherba - Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:51 pm

So the doctor can see if you have anal cancer while doing a colonoscopy? Also what are the symptoms of IBS?
Thank You very much for your help
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:11 am

User avatar Hello,

Irritable bowel syndrome may cause nonspecific, diffuse, crampy pain that is accompanied by bloating and occasionally by nausea. The pain is accompanied by altered bowel habits and is usually relieved by bowel movements.

In most patients, constipation or diarrhea is the predominate symptom, and in some patients the two symptoms alternate. Mucus may be present in the stool. Symptoms are often aggravated by emotional stress.

Therapy for irritable bowel syndrome is guided by symptoms.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here