News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: hemorrhoid medication & thyroid problems

rubiwi - Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:31 pm

I'm a 24 year old female with a hypoactive thyroid. I'm on medication (Synthroid) and everything is under control. I've been having trouble with hemorrhoids and bought some Preperation H cream, but notice on the lable that it says to ask your doctor before using if you have thyroid disease. Why is this? Does Preperation H affect thyroid production? Are hemorrhoids indicative of something else that could be related to further thyroid problems? Please help!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:06 pm

User avatar Dear rubiwi,

I could not find any drug interactions between these drugs: Preparation H,Synthroid.

Unless you mean the hydrocortisone containing preparation H .

In general there are no serious systemic side effects from the hydrocortisone topical use . Only if the drug is used for long time in large dose and absorbed to the systemic circulation, people may experience an irregular heartbeat, insomnia, mood changes, weight gain, or fatigue.

Steroid preparations affect the thyroid function and follow up with thyroid function tests is essential to adjust thyroid hormone replacement therapy.

I advise you to follow with your doctor.
Hope you find this information useful

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here