News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pancreas Issue?

snackcakegirl - Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:55 pm

That is what my Gastro "thinks". About 6 months ago I was in pure hell. I had a variety of issues but here are the details:

-Food started to hurt when I ate
- I would get nauseous/Full immediately
-Noticed a strange cramp under right rib
-Sometimes yellow/orange stool, sometimes bulky, sometimes formed, sometimes floating, 2 times I had oil on rim of toilet
-Pain under sternum after eating that would go to my back
-On 3 occassions it was severe...I ate, 15 minutes later had a loose stool then the pain in sternum and it would radiate to my back the rest of the day...woke up feeling sore, lingering pain and unbelievable fatigue
-I lost 12 lbs, probably mostly to fear of eating
-I never had my blood tested during those extreme episodes.

I have been through every test known, I was diagnosed with mild gastritis which he said would cause all of this.
My Hida scan was at 36% so he ruled out GB
My amylase has been mildly elevated the past 6 months (low hundreds on a 0-99 scale through my lab)

He said he is leaning towards a pancreas issue and that my severe episodes may have been "a little pancreatitis". Can you have "a little pancreatitis"?

K, everything I have read indicates that pancreatitis would have felt much worse, like double over in pain...while it was severe discomfort, fatigue and pain...I wasn't doubled over but I was scared and my heart would race.

Any thoughts? Is the amylase level even an issue? I am feeling better, occassional bouts of nausea, still having occassional bulky, yellow/orange stool (it is poofy and fills up the toilet when it happens), weird feeling under right rib and still haven't gained the weight back (I can lose 5 lbs in one day when I have the strange bowel movements), but a far cry from when it was bad. My main concern is if it is pancreatitis or something along those lines, will I feel that way I did 3 months ago again? It was awful.

Dr prescribed me enzymes...
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:36 am

User avatar Hi snackcakegirl,
When your physician stated a "little pancreatitis" he/she may referring to mild pancreatitis (acute onset). The pancreatic enzymes should help with improvement of symptoms. Depending on the etiology of the attack or precipitating factors would be an indication of whether or not recurrence is expected.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here