News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Digestive irregularities - sudden bloating and discomfort

uciu73 - Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:29 am

Hello,
I'm a 32 yrs old male, no surgeries, no current medication, had migaine atacks in the past (possibly caused by a "lazy" gall bladder)

My symptoms occured about 10 days ago, and they consist of: sudden bloating after almost every meal, abdominal discomfort, mild pressure right under my rib cage, belching and gas release seem to alleviate the pressure. I also have a bad taste in the mouth, sour-like.I vividly remember having some salty nuts the day all started and then the salty taste coming back in my mouth all evening.
I've seen my GP and he recommended blood tests for liver and gall bladder. He mentioned the bad breath could be caused by a liver affection. He also reccomended ultrasound for liver, gallbladder and kidneys area. The ultrasound had not revealed anything, size of liver and gall bladder seem OK, no gall stones. Have not received the blood tests yet.
Gradually some of the symptoms dissapeared. at the moment I'm still left with the bloating after every meal and the bad breath.
Could you please help?

Thank you

Uciu
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:38 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope your results came out normal. If they did and your symptoms have started to get better then it was probably a temporary dyspepsia.

On the other hand, if this is a recurring problem then this may be the result of an underlying functional gastrointestinal disorder, eg, irritable bowel syndrome or nonulcer dyspepsia. Dietary fat may delay intestinal gas clearance, hence reducing fat in the diet may be helpful.

Best regards.
 uciu73 - Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:10 am

Hello again

I have received my blood tests results: liver profile and gall bladder normal, just the WBC was a bit low (approx 3.5). I was asked to retest for the WBC and the second result came back a bit better (a little over 4). The bloating after meals have diminished slightly, the persistent thing is a minor abdominal discomfort and a sting-like sensation in the epigastrum area.
When you mentioned temporary dyspepsia what do exactly mean by that? What is the average duration of such a affection? The reason I asked is that it's been now 3 weeks since this started. Do you think I'd require further investigation giving the remaining symptoms? What I had in mind was a H Pylory breath test or maybe endoscopy ??

Thanks again
uciu73

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here