Question: Results of EGD Scope and Questions

Hopeful110670 - Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:53 pm

Hello:

I am a 35 year old female with many questions pertaining to my health. Let me start with my last pregnancy on 1/06/06. In my third trimester of pregnancy, I had severe naseau and acid reflux to the point where I would throw up every day, 4-5 times a day. Then on xmas eve, I ended up coughing and low and behold I fractured my right 10th rib. After a painful pregnancy, I thought I would go back to normal and all symptoms would go away. Well, for the first few weeks I continued to have the naseau, my doctor prescribed Reglan and another medicane for the vomiting. It helped a little but I still continued to get sick. I ended up losing 30 lbs in 3 weeks.

Since then I have had a battery of tests done, including a CT Scan with Contrast for my abdomen and my pelvis, tons of blood work done, a bone density test and most recently an EGD Scope.

Some of my results were the following:

I had a high white blood count for several weeks, until recently it went back to normal

I have had a high platlet count and recently was tested again for it...no results as of yet

My pancreatic enzymes were elevated which led to the CT scan, the scan results showed a fatty area (hernia) near my stomach, very small, it also showed an abmormal amount of gas in my endometrial tube, making them suspicious of endometriosis. They said everything else appeared normal

I also had a bone density test preformed. My results for this showed osteopenia in my spine and also in my pelvis. I am currently on Fosamax for this, as well as Calcium + D.

Then I have been having continuing pain right where my rib pain was. It feels like it is not healing at all. I still have alot of my symptoms from before including, burping constantly, right side pain with movement, sensitive to touch, when I bend over it becomes much worse, after eating I notice it more, gas, tons of acid in my throat, tingling sensation in my hands and arms and lastly a horrible taste in my mouth, almost like a numbness on my tongue. Two days ago I had an Upper EGD done, the endo wrote these comments:

Hiatus Hernia (555.3)
Oesophagus Other
Gastritis (535.4, 578.9)
Procedures:

Biopsy: Vial 1 from prepyloric area X4, Biopsy: Vial 11 from lower third Oesophagus x 6.

Await histopathology results, for biliary ultrasound and Gastric emptying study.

Can someone please explain what all this means? The doctor explained it somewhat, however, I was waking up right when he came in the room, so I was not too coherent.

My doctor also had asked me if they had checked my gallbladder recently. I explained with the CT scan it mentioned it was contracting normally, he said that would not matter and I would need an ultrasound. I guess I am wondering if this all could be gallbladder related? I just thought with gallbladder problems it was a fast hurting type sharp pain that only lasted a few hours? Mine is pretty constant and with movement it is worse, even breathing causes pains at times.

Or do you think possibly it is just from my fracture, and if that is the case, how long does it take for it to heal? Because of my osteopenia, will it take longer? It has been almost 3 months and at times I feel it is getting worse instead of better.

Lastly, my Family Doctor is running more blood work, checking a CBC again, my estrogen levels, and he is also checking my platlets breaking them down to see if it is my liver or bone that is causing the problems.

Please if anyone could respond it would be so helpful, I am desperately seeking answers because I just want to feel like me again.

Thank you very much for your time.
Ali
 Hopeful110670 - Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:08 am

Hi:

Well I called the doctor yesterday to see if labs were back in, but still no answer. It has been almost 2 weeks now and it does get a little frustrating.

I am still wondering if someone can help answer my questions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your volunteered time.
 Hopeful110670 - Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:19 pm

Hello:

Well I got some of my results back. My estrogen levels were fine. My platlets I believe may have normalized, however my alkaline phospate levels are still high. This has been going on for almost 2 years now.

Is their something I should be suspicious of and ask the doctor to test me for? Is alkaline phosphate levels and gall bladder problems related?

My symptoms vary to intense to not so intense all day long. Again if someone could respond it would be helpful. I keep posting in the hope's someone can relate.
 Hopeful110670 - Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:28 pm

Hello:

Well I got my biopsy results back yesterday and found out that I have Barretts (sp?) Esophogaus. I am not really sure what this is other than what I have read on the internet. From my understanding it is abnormal cell growth that can lead to cancer. You should get regular follow up treatment and stay on anit reflux medication.

My question is...if you are supposed to get follow up treatment, why would they want to schedule another scope in 3 years? Why not sooner? This worries me...developing cancer can happen quick and I would think you need to go routinely for follow ups to prevent such an occurance?

If a doctor or nurse could please finally respond...I would appreciate some advice on this matter.

Thank you again.

|