News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Question on MRI of Gallbladder?

motherof3 - Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:55 pm

Dear Theresa and Doctor,
I am scheduled to have this MRI Scan done this thursday on my Gallbladder. I have had many MRI's in the past, but the place I am having this done at stated that a doctor must be present while the test is being performed.

My question is: Why does a doctor have to be present? I am now scared to death to have this scan done! Is there a reason that a doctor must be there? Please help in calming my fears of this scan!!!!

Thanks Again,
Janice
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:17 pm

User avatar Hi Janice,
Is this being completed at a different facility than in the past? Some facilities depending on the governing regulations at the particular facility may require the presence of a physician during a diagnostic procedure.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 motherof3 - Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:11 pm

Theresa,
This is at the same MRI Diagnostic Facility that has done all of my MRI's in the past and there has never been a doctor present for any of them before, this is why I am at such a confused state. When I asked them, all I got for a reply was" This is normal procedure for this type of scan just in case.". When I asked what the just in case was, I got told "In case we need him or her."

Does this make any sense to you and is this basically a normal MRI with Contrast?

Thanks Theresa
Janice
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:55 am

User avatar Hi Janice,
Were your previous MRI's done using a contrast agent? Generally speaking, when a contrast agent is used for a diagnostic procedure the presence of a physician is required. For instance, there is always the underlying possibility that an adverse reaction to a contrast agent or medium may occur, requiring the expertise of a physician. Keep in mind this is generally a precautionary measure. When you go in for your diagnostics, ask if this is standard procedure for a MRI with contrast. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 motherof3 - Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:59 am

Theresa,
Thank you so much for your replies. I have had a head, cervical, and thoracic all with and without contrast done when I was undergoing testing for possible MS and there was never a doctor present during any of these procedures.

I will ask them when I get there to be more explanative as to why a doctor must be there for the procedure.

One other quick question if you don't mind: Is is possible for a lower bile duct obstruction to clear up on it's own without having surgery done to repair it? My reason for asking is that over the past 3 days, I have been able to eat normally again with no ill effects at all and was thinking that maybe the obstruction that was there has cleared up on it's own. Is this possible?

Thanks Again Theresa!!!
Janice

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here