News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Vomiting has a coffee grounds appearance

motherof3 - Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:44 am

Theresa,
I promise I won't bother you again, but I just threw up and it looked like coffee grounds and dark brown mucosy looking. The pain has intensified and I have a call into the doctor at this moment so I will advise after the call back. I am petrefied at this point. Is this something that could be possibly related to a ruptured bile duct or worse?
Thank You
Janice
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:39 am

User avatar Hi Janice,
Please don't apologize.
Vomiting of coffee ground emesis is an indication of an upper gastrointestinal disorder which may be related to numerous conditions, esophageal, gastric, duodenal ulcers, peptic ulcer disease associated with the use of NSAID's, H. Pylori bacteria, etc. etc. Only a physical evaluation and some diagnostic studies can identify the source of the bleeding. It certainly warrants an evaluation by a physician and I urge you to do so. I hope to see an update when your time permits and you are able.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN.
 motherof3 - Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Theresa,
Well after being in the hospital for 3 days, I am still no closer to a diagnosis that I was before. I go to have my MRCP tomorrow AM so I guess we shall see.

Thank you so much for your continued support of this forum. I am a RN but I have only done geri work in the past and you know that us nurses make the worst patients most of the times due to all of our knowledge lol.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again!!
Janice
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:53 am

User avatar Hi Janice,
I hope the procedure goes well and you have an uneventful recovery. You are so right about nurses being terrible patients lol. Thank you for your kind comment.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 motherof3 - Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:31 am

Theresa,
You are welcome so much for the comment. I called my PCP for a followup appointment and I go in on Thursday for the results so we shall see.

I'll post an update on thursday.
Janice

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here