Question: Vomiting has a coffee grounds appearance

motherof3 - Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:44 am

Theresa,
I promise I won't bother you again, but I just threw up and it looked like coffee grounds and dark brown mucosy looking. The pain has intensified and I have a call into the doctor at this moment so I will advise after the call back. I am petrefied at this point. Is this something that could be possibly related to a ruptured bile duct or worse?
Thank You
Janice
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:39 am

User avatar Hi Janice,
Please don't apologize.
Vomiting of coffee ground emesis is an indication of an upper gastrointestinal disorder which may be related to numerous conditions, esophageal, gastric, duodenal ulcers, peptic ulcer disease associated with the use of NSAID's, H. Pylori bacteria, etc. etc. Only a physical evaluation and some diagnostic studies can identify the source of the bleeding. It certainly warrants an evaluation by a physician and I urge you to do so. I hope to see an update when your time permits and you are able.
Theresa Jones, RN.
 motherof3 - Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Theresa,
Well after being in the hospital for 3 days, I am still no closer to a diagnosis that I was before. I go to have my MRCP tomorrow AM so I guess we shall see.

Thank you so much for your continued support of this forum. I am a RN but I have only done geri work in the past and you know that us nurses make the worst patients most of the times due to all of our knowledge lol.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again!!
Janice
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:53 am

User avatar Hi Janice,
I hope the procedure goes well and you have an uneventful recovery. You are so right about nurses being terrible patients lol. Thank you for your kind comment.
 motherof3 - Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:31 am

Theresa,
You are welcome so much for the comment. I called my PCP for a followup appointment and I go in on Thursday for the results so we shall see.

I'll post an update on thursday.
Janice

|