News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Questions about endoscopy

tellmem3 - Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:30 pm

Hi

I am a 20 year old female and i've had very bad heart burn for over a year. I am going to have an endoscopy and I was just trying to get some information on the procedure. I've heard they stick a tube or scope up your nose? Does it hurt or anything?

Thanks for your help

Christie
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:33 am

User avatar Hi tellmem3,
The upper endoscopy procedure uses a small flexible tube with a lens and light source inserted through the mouth (not nose) and allows visualization of the upper gastrointestinal tract, (esophagus, stomach, upper section of the small intestine). Generally speaking, sedation along with a throat numbing spray is used. This procedure is typically not painful.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 reggietoga - Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:23 am

don't worry at all. i had one done about 2 months ago. i didnt feel a thing and the only thing that is an inconvenience is that you will feel groggy for most of the day after because they put you under.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here