News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: paraesphogal/hiatal hernia - not sure which

jill - Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 am

My Doctor's assistant is more concerned about this than my doctor and I don't know what I should do. My stomach hurts pretty much all the time, and I don't really eat or drink much at all anymore. Once in a while there is a small part that pops out of place right between the bottom of my ribs and it hurts very bad. I can push it back in by arching my back. I am taking Nexium and drinkng Maalox at this time to deal wtih symptoms. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help as always. Is this something that requires the help of a Doctor or just keep taking the Nexium and wait for it to go away?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:14 am

User avatar Hi jill,
Medications may reduce symptoms related to acid reflux. A hiatal hernia, when large enough to become apparent may produce symptoms of an apparent protrusion near the chest cavity, (upper abdomen near the chest), chest pain, shortness of breath, worsening reflux, etc. Diagnostic tests such as a Barium xray, endoscopy, can determine if a hernia is present as well as the size and if medications and lifestyle adjustments are ineffective then surgical intervention may be considered.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 jill - Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:09 pm

Thank you. That explains alot. I have constant problems with shortness of breath that I could not explain. My heart is good and my lungs are clear. my pain is also nearly constant now in my lower chest. Thanks for answering the questions my doctor never seems to have the time for.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here