Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: stomach pain

 clairebear9898 - Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:43 pm

I'm a 18 y/o female. Sometimes I get pain in my stomach to the right of my bellybutton. It's strong pressure and it only happens every once and awhile and only when I'm standing up. It's not anything womanly related b/c the pain is higher the same level as my bellybutton. Any help??
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 18, 2006 3:09 pm

User avatar Hello,

There are many causes for pain around the umbilcus (periumbilical region).

Pain in the periumbilical region arises from viscera of the midgut (eg, small intestine, appendix, ascending colon, proximal two thirds of the transverse colon).

Your pain may also originate from the abdominal wall.

I hope you feel better.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us