News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: ulcer/er visit

samsmom - Mon May 31, 2004 7:52 pm

I was diagnoised with an ulcer in april of 2003.A month after that my insurance expired so I have not recieved any care.I went from feeling like I was carrying an egg in my stomach to what now feels like a watermelon in there.I have been extremly weak and hardley able to function for the last year.I am 33 and a single parent of a special needs child so I have to get to better to take care of him.I can no longer eat but half a cup of jello or liquified food every 2 hours.We are on a very limited budget so I make sure my son eats well balanced foods and I mostly live on pasta or bread or rice scince I cant afford fruits and things for myself.I feel like this thing is killing me.I am going to the e.r. wednesday but will have to leave if they want to admit me overnight scince theres no one to watch my son.What advice can you give me before my e.r. visit wednesday?I should also add I did get my flu shot some time ago last year and have had a fever for 6 days. On one night it was so bad and the shaking uncontrollable I hallucinated that I was lying in the snow.When I came out of it I realized it was probably because I was wrapped in a white blanket.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon May 31, 2004 11:37 pm

User avatar samsmom,
You are obviously under a lot of continuous stress. That alone is a strong cause for peptic ulcer. How was the peptic ulcer diagnosed? Did you get an endoscopy?
 samsmom - Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:17 pm

Thank you for the reply.I went to a gastrenologist and he felt my stomach and said likley it was an ulcer.I couldnt stop burping.My insurance ran out to soon to have the camerea put in my stomach and on that visit I had to control my son who was with me.I am going to the ER in a couple hours.Will they likley make me stay overnight is the most important thing I need to know.Just to be on the safe side in case that happens I packed for my son and had the school contact a supervisor for child protective services to place him while I am immobilized.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:04 pm

User avatar Well it all depends on the outcome of your examination. It seems however, more likely that you wont need admission. Good luck.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:30 pm

User avatar Dear Samsmom,

An abdominal examination is not enough to say for sure that an ulcer is the correct diagnosis.

On the other hand, assuming that the symptoms that you are having are due to an ulcer, and if for any reason you can not have an endoscopy done, you can be treated for ulcer without doing the endoscopy and then if you don't get better then an endoscopy can be done.

Regarding your er visit, since you don't really have a history of either vomiting blood or having bloody bowel movements, and unless you have lost quite a bit of weight or found to have a low blood count, or deemed dehdrated to the extent that requires admission, it is unlikely that you will be admitted to the hospital.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here