Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Elelvated GGT

bluestreak - Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:37 pm

I just received some blood tets back from a health fair I attend every year. I'm 34, 110 lbs. I had gallbladder surgery just a year ago. This time my GGT liver enzyme was elevated. The labs normal margains are 0- 60. My GGT was 66. I drink maybe 3-4 glasses of wine a week. I have been taking ibuprofen for some back pain & I am taking prilosec, per Dr's orders, for an increase in heartburn since my gallbladder surgery.

Is my elevated GGT something to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Blue
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu May 04, 2006 6:35 pm

User avatar Dear Blue,

ggt is a very sensitive way to detect the liver being affected by anything. It is so sensitive and very non-specific to the extent that some doctors don't rely on it that much.

It is kind of expected to be elevated in people who drink alcoholic beverages. If you drink any amount of alcoholic beverages, your ggt is most probably going to be high.

If your other liver enzymes are not high, there is absolutely nothing to worry about especially that the elevation is very mild.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

|