Question: Continued distention of the stomach after released from hosp

MrsG - Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:54 am

I was released from the hospital on Sunday afternoon after 8 days of treatment for what turned out to be a "huge" stomach ulcer. Upon arrival at the ER, doctors ordered a sonagram which indicated severly distended stomach with thickening walls, almost to the point of closure of the stomach. I had severe vomitting, severe weight loss, and severe pain just below my breastbone.
I am currently taking pepcid (double dose) and some anti nausea meds, as well as lortab for pain. I eat, but small quantities as directed. I am still noting additional swelling, moving under my ribs, feeling pressure on the right lung. My discharge states I should only return to hospital if I experience more pain, and or more vomitting symptoms....what should I do.
I go to the doctor in the morning for follow up...but am I wasting time waiting?
MrsG
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:12 am

User avatar Hi!

Hope things are better by the time you receive this response. Do you have a copy of your ultrasonogram report with you? If not, would you be able to make it available?

bill
 MrsG - Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:14 am

I did return to hospital, and was admitted for several tests which revealed a large lesion
in my stomach and esophagus...they did an endocopy biopsy...( ithink is what they called it) no results yet.

I did not have the bacteria for a common ulcer...can other types of ulcers be benign?
I'm worried now....

They gave me double doses of prevacid and lortab for pain....and they recently tested my stools and found blood...is this common with benign ulcers? Any information I can read up on would be super.

The doctor told me it was 10 times larger than he's ever seen in an ulcer...
but I had stomach trouble off an on for several years....surgery is pending the outcome of the biopsy.

What will they do? Thanks for any information you may offer.
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:30 pm

User avatar Hi!

For a review of peptic ulcers, please:

Click here!

please do not hesitate to post any further questions you may have, not found in the article above.

bill

|