Question: Constipation, pain, and a history of this stuff...

Hartmann - Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:38 pm

I am a 22 year old male. When I was 15 I was admitted to the hospital for severe dehydration, what the doctors found was an impaction in my colon (after years and years of constipation). I was given meds and different procedures to completely clean me out.

Afterwards I was put on Miralax to keep me clean. This worked and the doctor slowly weaned me off of the stuff, making sure that if I got constipated to take the medicine.

I have done fine minus a few times where I got constipated and saw a gastro where I was going to school. He gaving me Zelnorm and more Miralax and told me to take them, and to stay on the Zelnorm.

Everything has gone great till now. My last few weeks of school I noticed that I was constipated and took Miralax, but still couldn't go after a few days. Eventually I went. Now I am having bowel movements every 4-5 days and haven't had a "regular" movement in more than a week. I have eaten a large amount of food over this time period but have gone very, very little and feel "full".

I have learned to realize when I am constipated, and I really do not want to be back in the hospital. I feel the urge to go sometimes and I will rush to the bathroom to go and will push and push and produce nothing. Occasionally I will go a little, with surprisingly loose stools. Usually when I have this problem I have very hard stools so I'm a little surprised.

I have also noticed blood on the toilet paper, which doesn't surprise because of the amount of straining that I have done. My skin feels sweaty and I constantly feel tired.

I really have no idea what the problem is and it's freaking me out a little bit. I'm young, with no family history of colon problems, though there are thyroid problems. I am getting desperate and this is extremely hard to deal with being in the workforce now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:53 am

User avatar Hi Hartmann,
You are correct in stating that straining certainly may produce small amounts of blood on toilet paper as constipation frequently causes the appearance of hemorrhoids (internal and external), anal tears, etc. Watery stools with episodes of constipation typically represents an impaction. I would storngly suggest that you notify your physician for guidance regarding alternate methods of resolving this episode. Have you been advised to change your diet to consumption of more fruits and vegetables, increase fiber by dietary means or supplementation, and consume appropriate recommendations of water intake? Constipation/impactions may produce abnominal discomfort/fullness, bloating, nausea, vomiting, fever, etc. I would again, advise you to contact your physician.
 Hartmann - Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:21 am

I was finally able to go, and continued to be able to go normally for a week and a half but again, I am constipated and it's coming up on a week with no bowel movement.

I have stayed on the Zelnorm at regular intervals and have tried eating a lot more fiber but nothing seems to work.

When I was able to go I did not see anything abnormal with my stool so I am just really frustrated and worried...
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:54 am

User avatar Hi Hartmann,
I again encourage you to discuss with your physician about some additional measures for alleviating these episodes.
 Hartmann - Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:13 am

An update...

I went to a new gastro since I moved and he listened to my history and such and though I forgot to mention a few things to him (sharp pains in my gut) he still suggested I do a barium enema tomorrow. So I'm having that done. Just worried at this point.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:34 am

User avatar Hi Hartmann,
Thank you for the update and I hope the testing goes well. When your time permits, posting results would be appreciated.

|