Question: Calcified polyp?

MissPlaced - Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:47 pm

I have had a couple of scopes done in the past with a history of severe duodenitis, blunted villi from gastric damage, and hyperplastic polyps. I have had the polyps removed from the transverse colon each time and I guess they grow back. I currently have one that has calcified in my transverse colon per xrays and ct scan. It was picked up incidentally.

That was about 2 years ago. About a year ago I started bloating for about 1.5-2 days and when that would happen, I would not go to the restroom and when it finally happens, fluid, mainly clear will come out like water and some stool material usually grainy, sometimes clay color and sometimes light. The bathroom runs will be between 5-15 min apart and can be up to 5 times.

In light of all this I have gerd, ibs, lupus, mg and take mestinon, prevacid. I am concerned about the calcification because of what a previous doctor said about my thyroid with calcification. I asked the doctor if we could xray it to see if it grew and he said the best way to look is a scope but he was going to leave it up to me. I don’t know why they cannot xray it to see if it is growing. Is this something to be concerned about because I don’t think the doctor is. I am 44.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:29 am

User avatar Hi MissPlaced,
A CT Scan may be able to identify certain changes, increases in size, etc., provided the view is not obstructed by stool in the intestines. However, A CT scan may not identify additional polyps etc., as a colonoscopy would so in my opinion if this diagnostic (colonoscopy) is the recommendation I would suggest that you follow your physician's advice in having this procedure.

|