News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: hepatitis

sposada - Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:44 pm

my friend's mom got a blood transfusion back in the 1970's. About 10 years ago, the doctors ran blood tests on her mom and found she had hepatitis probably from that blood transfusion. Over this past weekend, my friend's mom told her that her liver is producing abnormally high levels of protein and her doctor wants to give her low doses of chemotherapy. Why would her doctor do that? Does her mom have cancer of the liver or does this have something to do with her mom's hepatitis?

Thanks,
Susan
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:07 am

User avatar Hi Sposada,
Do you know what the name of this protein is? Has she undergone any imaging for the liver (ultrasound? CT?) If it is alfa feto protein that is being produced in very large amounts, that combined with the appearance of tumors in her scans would be indicative of cancer. Please try to find out more details.
 sposada - Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:56 am

Dear Doctor:

Thank you very much for posting a reply to my question. I have relayed your message to my friend and she is going to try to get her mom to tell her more information. It seems that her mom doesn't want to worry her so she isn't saying any details, which obviously has my friend very worried.

Anyway, once I have more info., I'll post again. Thanks again.

Susan

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here