News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Fibrosis of the lamina propria... meaning?

pt_i_am - Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:29 pm

I am a 41 year old female who has minimal fibrosis in the left lower lung base. I have been ill for over 1 1/2 years, with no diagnosis as of yet.

I had an endoscopy in July that showed "reactive gastropathy characterized by reactive foveolar glands, fibrosis of superficial lamina propria with absense of inflammation". What does this mean? This is the 3rd endoscopy in the past year and this is the only one that showed this.

Also, could there be any correlation between the lung fibrosis and the antrum fibrosis?

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:37 pm

User avatar Hello,

The fibrosis in your lung is not related to that of the lamina propria.

Reactive gastropathy is a relatively common finding in gastric biopsies; in most instances it is associated with either reflux of duodenal contents or therapy with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or H. pylori infection.

Gastropathy secondary to reflux tends to be more diffuse and located adjacent to the pylorus, while gastropathy secondary to NSAIDs tends to be more patchy throughout the antrum.

Histological findings include foveolar hyperplasia, edema and smooth muscle fibers in the lamina propria (and fibrosis), congestion of superficial mucosal capillaries, and an insufficient number of active and chronic inflammatory cells.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here