News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: constipated.. lightheadedness.. diahrrea.. heart pounds..

matt_briggs - Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:51 pm

age - 21
sex - male
past diagnosis - none
surgeries - none
family history - none
meds - none

ok i am a 21 year old male with no past history, surgeries, nothing..

something that is scaring me recently is an intestine problem.. i have been healthy all my life, but recently, ive been having trouble passing a bowel movement.. i feel bloated.. constipated.. very gassy..

i get occassional episodes, like heavy gas, lightheadedness, short of breath and my heart pounds and beats a little faster then normal.. but i find when i pass gas or have a bowel movement it feels better.. its usually very soft... actually its always soft... i was a smoker for 5 years and just quit about a week ago.. what could this be? this has been happeneing since i quit smoking a week ago... please help me!

thanks,

matt b.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:40 am

User avatar Hello,

I am in no position to assess the seriousness of your cardiovascular or respiratory symptoms. I understand from your previous posts that you have had them in the past and were attributed to stress. If you continue having these symptoms you should seek direct medical attention.

Regarding your constipation have you tried changing your diet and mild exercise?

A gradual increase in dietary fiber to around 30 g daily is advised. Fiber serves to increase stool bulk and water content. Increased intake of fruits, vegetables, or high-fiber breakfast cereals may help.

In cases accompanied by gaseous distention, common gas-producing foods should be eliminated. These include brown beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions, beer, red wine, and coffee.

As mentioned above you are advised to seek direct medical attention since I will be unable to assess how serious your condition is over the internet.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here