Question: pain/tenderness in abdomen

clairebear9898 - Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:12 pm

I'm an 18 y/o female. For the past few weeks, I have had tenderness in my right abdomen. It occurs right around my naval and a little to the right. It only hurts/burns when I do some form of physical activity...and quits as soon as I rest/sit down. I recently had an ultrasound for an ovarian cyst, and the doctor said my kidneys/appendix/gallbladder looked fine. I don't have any intestinal problems that I am aware of, and no other symptoms. It feels like I pulled an abdominal muscle, but is it possible to do that?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:57 am

Its very possible that you are complaining of a muscle strain.

Pain arising from the abdominal wall is usually constant and aching. Movement, prolonged standing, and pressure accentuate the discomfort and muscle spasm.

The most important method of treatment is to rest the muscles involved. Avoid any exercise until you start feeling better. Should any new complaints arise you should contact your doctor immediately.