Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Hepatitis C Treatment.

lgndry1 - Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:13 am

I have a 46 year old male neighbor who recently was siagnosed with hepatitis c. He gets severly depressed and has a history of attempted suicide. I know that <Interferon> will aggrivate this condition is there any other treatment drugs I should warn him of??
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:27 am

Current treatment protocols used for treating hepatitis C are based on various interferon alpha preparations(IM or SC).

The decisions to start medications depends on the results of different lab tests like LFT, HCV RNA levels, Liver biopsy, the general condition of the patient, his psychological aspects and his age.

The treatment goal in chronic hepatitis C is to eliminate detectable viral RNA from the blood.

The decision should be taken by a gastroenterologist or liver specialist (hepatologist).

You can advise him to follow with his Doctor and to discus with him the indications for therapy according to his disease state.