News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: ulcerative colitis and low residue diet questions

xAlyKatx - Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:01 pm

f24
ulcerative colitis
no surgeries
colon cancer on paternal side
no meds

is diarrhea a common response to the low residue diet? I have been on the diet for 1 week now and have had moderate-severe diarrhea since. I normally don't have much diarrhea with my disease unless I eat dairy products.

Is it uncommon for some to not have diarrhea with ulcerative colitis. I usually just have bleeding and mucous secretion with abdominal cramps. Bowl movements are 1 a day or ever 2-3 days.

Anything helps thanks.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:40 pm

User avatar Hello,

Ulcerative colitis is caused by inflammation of the wall of the GI tract. Ulcerative colitis occurs mainly in the large bowel (colon and rectum).
Presenting symptoms include: bouts of watery or bloody diarrhea and abdominal pain.
Severity may range from mild controlled symptoms to severe form.
Once you have frequent or persistent attack diarrhea, abdominal pain, blood in stool, fever more than a day, you have to visit your doctor to start investigation and proper medication.

Stool examination to exclude parasitic infestations is important,.
Mean while, you have to compensate your self with enough fluids and light food. You have also better avoid any food which you noticed its relevance to the onset of diarrhea.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here