News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Bowel/colon problems. Please help.

Steven28 - Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:10 am

Ok, i have had this problem for over two years now.

What happens is , i feel like i have to go to the bathroom (#2) but can't go most of the time. I go to the bathroom over 30 times a day. A lot of the time a transparant mucus comes out and sometimes small dark hard feces. Or sometimes its light brown and and not at all hard.

When i drink coffee or coca cola it get's worse, then i have to go a lot and a lot of mucus comes out but no feces. And when feces comes out it dous not look normal.

Basically, i feel i have to go. It's like a kind of pain in my anus not my stomach. My stomach makes a lot of noise i can feel gass in my stomach, when i press on my stomach i can feel it moving and it makes sounds.

The worst thing about it is that, i have to go so much that it almost feels like an addiction. I'm addicted to going to the bathroom.

I am getting stressed about this cause i am scared it could be very bad. Like cancer.

i have had my feces send to a lab and they did find something called Giardia liamblia , i had to take the medicine three times cause the symptoms didn't go away .

What to do??? SHould i stop drinking coffee or coca cola ?? Wich is very diffiult by the way.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:01 am

User avatar Hello,

You haven't specified your age.

What you are complaining of is a condition known as tenesmus.

Tenesmus is the constant feeling that you need to empty your bowels. It may be associated with pain, and considerable discomfort. Despite these repeated attempts little or no stools come out.

Common causes of tenesmus include inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis), anorectal abscess, infectious colitis, cancers or benign tumors of the colon, radiation proctitis or colitis. Its considered a very common symptom of inflammatory bowel disease mentioned above.

I would suggest that you get another stool analysis, test for occult blood in stools. It may be a good idea to consult a gastroenterologist.

Best regards,
 Steven28 - Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:55 am

I am 28.

I do have pain, but i think the pain is from trying to push to much.
Right now i just woke up and i have no pain, i just feel a lot of movement and gass and i am sure that when i go to the bathroom there will be mucus coming out.

And i feel like getting myself some coffee but i know that when i do that the problems start.

What about the Giardia Liamblia , that can't be the cause ??
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:39 pm

User avatar Yes Giardiasis can cause your symptoms. It would go under the infectious causes listed above.

Are you currently receiving any therapy for giardiasis?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here