Question: Bloody stool

modelmaterial - Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:33 am

Hello I am a 23 year old female.
I have had a upper GI and a colonoscopy.
With the upper GI (1st procedure) a very small ulcer was found in my esophagus. I was told nothing to worry about, then placed on Nexium twice a day then it was reduced to once a day. When i had my colonoscopy (2nd procedure) they said my colon was a little red with some irritation. Well before and after this every once in a while I have what appears to be mucus and blood in my stool. Blood gushes out when I have a bowel movement. (prob about 2 tablespoons if i took a guess) I know this is NOT hemroids. Yet my doctor tells me everything is fine. Should I look into a new doctor? Also my tolerance for diary seems to be depreciating. What is wrong with me? Also my mother had a stomach ulcer when she was 18 and just a few years ago became lactose intolerant.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:40 am

Fresh Blood in stools, are usually due to lower GI bleeding.

Causes include
- Hemorrhoids or piles, they represent the most common cause of lower GI bleeding, and are easy to be diagnosed by clinical examination. Anorectal fissures as well can result in Bleeding per rectum and are easily diagnosed.

- Inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum or the rectum and colon a condition known as proctitis or proctocolitis respectively.
These conditions are either due to infectious diseases or non infectious disease as a part of inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis)
Infections include a variety of parasites and protozoa e. g. Entamoeba histolytica and Salmonella or
a part of sexually transmitted disease like herpes simplex and Chlamydia.
Diagnostic tests include stool analysis to check for parasites and protozoa. Samples are collected before receiving any medication and should be repeated for 3 times to find the possible organism causing the infection.

Other tests according to the suspected cause like segmoidoscopy and Colonoscopy to visualize the lining mucosa and take biopsy if needed. You have mentioned that your doctor said that these inflammatory changes in the colon are mild and not to be further investigated. He is the one who did the examination and can tell more what could it be, however if your condition persists more, another colonoscopy and biopsy may be considered.

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS,
Commonly people who have IBS complain off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus or less commonly blood containing stools.

Other diseases that can give similar pictures to IBS and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and Peptic ulcer. But Blood in stools is usually occult and not fresh red.

- Polyps, diverticulosis and Colon cancer.
Colonoscopy is of choice in the diagnosis of these cases.

I think you should also observe more your bowel habits and if you suspect any type of food that aggravate the condition, you should avoid it immediately.
 modelmaterial - Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:18 pm

Thank you for all the info it was very helpful
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:43 pm

You are welcome, please keep us updated.

|