News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain in the esophugus and chest

mommieduck - Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:59 am

I am a 34 year old female with a history of GERD, since I was 7 years of age. 3 years ago I had a nissen fundoplication done with great results and no complications. i also had my gallbladder removed. I was told I have barretts. medicine treatments do not work for me. 1 Year after the surgery I started having heartburn again. The problem I have now is chest pain right over my spleen area radiating up towards my throat. it feels very heavy, like i ate way too much. it gets worse if i eat or drink anything. i get very bloated and burp like a truck driver. there is no meds that relieve this. my heart rate can jump up to 120bpm. i normaly have a low BP. but it is starting to increase. The doctor has checked my heart and all is well. i am concerned that the nissen "wrap" has come undone. The doctors where i live do not specialize in any gastric field. this has been going on for a month or so, now i have been having swelling in my feet if i am up for too long. I am concerned as to what is going on and can not seem to get any answers, can you help?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:47 pm

User avatar Hello,

Your symptoms could be due to
- recurrence of GERD and esophagitis.
Although the rate of GERD recurrence is generally low, but it depends on many factors.

-PCS -post cholecystectomy syndrome- is caused by alterations in bile flow as a result of removal of the gallbladder. The inappropriate bile flow leads to esophagitis and gastritis and or in others, diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain.
Causes include:
Residual or reformed gallbladder
Sphincter of Oddi dyskinesia, spasm, or hypertrophy
Sphincter of Oddi stricture .

It gives also similar clinical picture to your symptoms.
I advise you to follow with your Doctor as soon as possible for proper assessment and management.

Keep us updated,
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here