News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Blood in Bowel Movement

kito - Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:57 am

This morning i had a lot of blood with my bowel movement. I have not been constipated or had any troubles going to the bathroom.

There was enough blood to make all the water in the bowl right red. Much like a heavy period day.

I have never had blood with a bowel movement before so its worrisome to me.

I have not had any abdominal pain and i was surprised to see the blood in the bowl.
 kito - Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:13 am

I should add i am a healty 32 yo 135 pounds 5'6
stools have been soft not hard.. I did have spicy sushi (not raw) 3 days ago for lunch and I normally feel that spicy ness on its way out too .. but i eat that ALL the time and have not ever had blood also. And usually any problems i have with that are the next morning so 2 days ago.

The blood was bright red and with my husband in Iraq there has been no sex.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:18 am

User avatar Hello,

Bright red blood that drips into the bowl after a bowel movement or is mixed with solid brown stool signifies mild bleeding, usually from an anorectosigmoid source, and can be evaluated in the outpatient setting.

It could be anything from internal hemorrhoids to a polyp. But it could also be due to a disease of the colon such as inflammatory bowel disease, diverticular disease, infective colitis or left sided colonic tumors.

Painless bleeding is commonly caused by internal hemorrhoids. Bleeding associated with pain during bowel movements suggests an anal fissure. Old age should prompt the doctor to exclude the presence of cancer.

I strongly urge you to call your doctor for an appointment. If nothing is found on examination, further investigations such as sigmoidoscopy or a colonoscopy may be required.

Keep us updated.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here