Question: Intermittant abcominal pain and soreness and back pains

fergie13 - Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi I am 25, male, white, 6 foot tall and weigh 14 stones.

My medicaions are currently

Rabeprazole 20mg twice daily (changed from omeprazole)

Pethidine tablets 100mg when required (changed from tramadol)

Metoclopramide 10mg three times daily (changed from doperidone)

Tamazepam 10mg 1 before bedtime

Paracetamol when fevered

I have been having upper central to upper right quadrant abdominal pains with abdominal soreness and back pains centrally that makes it hard to walk and stand up. The abdominal pains is intermittant and there is sometimes a twisting pain under the ribcage on the right side. I have also had bouts of breathlessness and intermittant fevers and painful areas on abdomen sore to the touch and pinch which come and go.
I have had these symtoms for the past 8 weeks and the symptoms come on all of a sudden. I have GERD which is controlled with the PPI's

I have had the following investigations:

Chest X-Ray - Normal

Barium Meal - Normal

Abdominal Ultrasound Scan - All organs normal bar a little fat in the liver,

Urine test - Normal

Bloods - all normal bar fluctuating ALT it was 156 in last bloods.

ECG Normal

Normal Heart and Bowel sounds

Chest clear with no cough

I had a gastroscopy in 2003 that was normal

I have been in the Hospital twice and they have sent me home after doing a blood test.

I do not feel sick, have not lost any weight and no change in bowel movements and do not feel tired.

Do you have any idea what can be causing these symptoms as I need to return to work ASAP as I have run out of full sick pay.

My GP thinks Biliary tree or gall bladder problems / infections
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:33 am

User avatar Hi fergie13,
I would certainly be in agreement with your GP regarding your gallbladder. Although an ultrasound may detect gallstones, gallbladder wall thickening, etc., it generally will not detect a dysfunctional gallbladder. If the gallbladder is not working appropriately it has a tendency to accumulate "sludge". Typical symptoms are right upper quadrant pain that may radiate up to the chest or around the back under the shoulder blade, etc. One of the diagnostics to detect gallbladder dysfunction is a Hidascan. Goodluck and best wishes.
 fergie13 - Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 pm

I also have some pain on the left side of my back. Could i be a Pancreas problems at my age?
 cb12 - Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:18 pm

I have chronic pancreatitis and I get very similar pain and symptoms although mine are generally on the right side or center
 fergie13 - Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:14 am

I have had a normal Gastroscopy examination now and they have done Amylase, Lypase and FBC which where both normal and have analysed a Stool which had no red or white cells in it. Also My ALT level is still fluctuating as they did a LFT and found that it is now down to 81.
The pain is very intermittant still and the abdominal pain has not been that bad this week. It seems to be better if I eat small frequent meals rather than large meals.
The back pain is what is irritating. It seems to get worse on exertion and ease a little with rest but never totally goes away and must be related as the abdominal pain and back pain commenced at the same time nearly three months ago now and all tests have been normal so far bar the raised ALT and I have lost no appitite or weight and do not feel tired. I feel totally normal bar these pains.
I am under a Upper GI Surgeon now and he does not think it is anything serious or sinister at this stage and he ordered the Gastroscopy which was normal and I am on the waiting list for a CT of the abdomen. This will take place probably early February.
Everything is so intermittant and it just seems to suddenly 'flare up'. Can any doctors coment on all this.

|