Question: Nauesa, Back Pain, stomach pain, sporadic fever

ClarinetGal - Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:59 pm

I am a 28 yr old female. I have had a PDA surgery on my heart when I was 18 months old. I have asthma. I am taking Advair (100/50) and Singulair (10mg) each day for the asthma. My doctor has also just prescribed Zantac and I began taking it two days ago.
I am writing about some symptoms I have been having. I suspect that it may be my gallbladder and wanted a medical opinion. My doctor has order an ultrasound of my gallbladder. I will have this performed on Wednesday, December 13.
Here is what has been going on:
For the past few years I have had frequent bouts of nausea. It has become the "norm" for me to wake up with a queasy stomach each morning. I have had to bouts of a bacteria in my stomach. This was cleared up each time, but the nausea comes back within two months of each treatment.
For the past six weeks or so, I have had some pain in my back. The pain is located in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades. I have used moist heat. It appears that the pains starts at a point and radiates out. The moist heat takes care of the radiating pain, but it does not seem to touch the source of the pain. My mother sometimes rubs my back, but it doesn't seem like it reaches the source either. It seems as if the pain is not near the surface of my back but deeper down in (if that makes sense).
For the past few years from time to time I will experience pain below my left rib. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like something is out of place or larger than it should be. If I shift around a little, it will relieve the pressure. This is not a frequent problem. It occurs maybe every couple of months or so. Sometmes more often and sometimes less.
There are times when I experience pain in my stomach as well. I also have trouble digesting certain foods, namely onions. If I were to eat onions right now around 2:00 PM, within a couple of hrs I would have a lot of gas. Tomorrow morning I would use the batchroom several times. My stool would be increasingly soft each time and would end in diarreha. The only way to stop this is to take Pepto Bismol two or three times.
When I went to the doctor Friday, my body temperature was 99.6. The bottom number of my blood pressure was also 90. I do not have a history of elevated blood pressure levels.
I occasionally will discover that I have a low grade fever of an evening.
I have also been fighting fatique for quite a while. It is not uncommon for me to sleep for 10 to 14 hrs when I do not have to get up early for work. For example, last night I went to sleep between 11:30 PM and Midnight. I did not get up until noon today. On Friday night I went to bed at 9:00 PM. I did not get out of bed until 11:30 am yesterday morning.
I have a strong family history of gallbladder disease. My grandmother and great aunt had their gallbladders removed as have my mother and two of her sisters. My mother had her gallbladder removed when she was 25. She had complications. She had gallstones. One of the gallstones blocked the duct to her pancreas and she ended up with pancreatitus. She was hospitalized for approximately 6 weeks for this. This was around 1979.
Please let me know your opinion or if you have any questions.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:46 am

These many possible causes for this type of pain that include:

Gall Bladder or Biliary disease : in this cases the pain is felt as
•Fullness or gas ,
•Severe pain that is felt mainly in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen ,occur mainly after meals (fatty), the pain may worsen after deep breath and radiates to the back or below the right shoulder.
Associated with:
Nausea and vomiting
Heartburn
Chest pain under the breastbone

-IBS:
Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool

-Other diseases that can give similar pictures and have to be excluded are
- GERD
- Gastritis due to H pylori or Drug induced (NSAID)
or gastric ulcer.
The pain is temporary relieved by simple foods and antacids.

Investigations include:
CBC
Abdominal US
Upper Endoscopy.

Keep us updated.
 ClarinetGal - Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:52 pm

I just received the results of my ultrasound today and it was normal. However, I am still experiencing all of the symptoms.

I do not have the mucus in my stool. When I have pain in the abdomen, it does hurt worse when I take a deep breath. However, the pain in my abdomen hasn't been terribly bad. I do have a full feeling in my stomach sometimes. Other times I feel extremely hungry, but when I eat, I immediately feel nauseous.

The doctor put me on Zantac a week ago for my stomach. Since I do not have insurance, I think I am going to wait another week to give the medicine a chance to work. I am going to try drinking more water and cutting out more of the soda that I drink. I have done so this week and there doesn't seem to be much improvement, but I want to give the medicine one more week at least before returning to the doctor. Of course, if my symptoms worsen, I will not wait.

|