News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Flucuating Liver Enzymes

luiigii - Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:55 am

Hello,

I am a 26 year old male and for the past year I have been suffering from flucuating liver enzymes levels. The highest they have been the past year was 586 and the lowest 121. I have been on different types of medication, have been checked and cleared for Hep A,B and C and got an ultrasound which showed no problems.

I feel I have done everything in my capacity to combat this issue yet my levels are taking a long time to go back to normal. and seem to be back on the rise. Please help!

===================================================

Here is a brief history of my levels:

July 2005: Gamma GTP: 285
(Please note I was drinking alcohol at this time, unaware of any seriousness of this result)

May 2006*: Gamma GTP: 175
(Stopped drinking alcohol for one month and using medicated Milk Thistle tablets)

June 2006*: Gamma GTP: 238
(Moderate alchol intake, maybe 2- 3 drinks per week, using Milk Thistle tablets )

August 2006*: Gamma GTP: 586
(After this test result I went off drink completely and have stayed off drink until now, December 2006)

September 2006: Gamma GTP: 190
(In September I was using herbal medication called HepAid)

November 2006: Gamma GTP: 121
(Medicated HepaBiol)

December 2006: Gamma GTP: 125
(After using the HepaBiol I feel that it has not worked well and I am considering using Milk Thistle and the herbal HepAid again)

===================================================

I am happy in the knowledge that the levels do seem to be coming down. However some issues that I am concerned about include:

*Between July 05 and May 06 the levels went down when I did nothing to combat it at this time and continued consuming alcohol. Any ideas why?

*Between June 06 and August 06 I almost cut alcohol out completely yet it escalating to a very alarming level. Any ideas why? Was this because it had to escalate to this peak before falling?

*Between August 06 and September 06 it fell a great deal and seems to however now seems to have stopped falling again.

*Now in December 06 after abstaining from alcohol it seems that it may be on the rise again as I would have imagined it would have at least fallen a little this past month.

Therefore I wish to ask:

What else should I do to help advancing the levels to their normal range of 11-65?

Also would it be okay to please have a glass of wine this Christmas and how much would it effect it? I do not want to tarnish the work I've put in yet crave a nice red wine this festive season! You can be frank!!!

I am aware that this situation is not quite serious and I have made good progress but now after 6months trying to bring the levels down I am growing quite frustrated by it.

What else should I do to help my levels get back to normal soon.

Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:18 am

User avatar Hello,

It seems that your liver enzyme fluctuation is greatly affected by alcohol intake.
It is not defined yet the amount of alcohol that can be taken daily with no risk of liver damage, partly due to personal variation and sensitivity to alcohol.
Some defined moderate intake as no more than two drinks a day for men and one for women. Some also believe that wine is less damaging than hard liquor. Although others showed contrary data.

Keep in mind that this is the amount may be allowed before any evidence of liver damage. If liver damage is documented and due to alcohol intake, alcohol intake should be stopped to render liver enzymes into normal or near normal.

The majority of patients with alcoholic liver disease have enzyme levels in a lower range than those of viral diseases,e.g. AST(SGPT) is usually under 300 units/liter while the(SGOP) ALT is usually under 100 units/ liter. If higher levels are found ,other causes should be excluded and this is what your doctor did by other lab tests and US investigation.

If alcohol is responsible for the abnormal liver enzyme levels, stopping alcohol would render the enzyme levels to normal or near normal levels in period of time that may reach few months.

Of importance avoiding any medications and any unhealthy food that would add to the liver damage and further enzyme elevation.

Any drugs, herbs, etc that are taken should be checked with your consultant to avoid further liver damage.

Follow up with lab tests, Abdominal US is essential.
Keep us updated.
Best regards,
 Voch - Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi luiigii

Did you ever discover what was the cause of your Flucuating Liver Enzymes was?

LFT's ALP ALT GGT
24/06/2009 180 96 368 Discovered high enzymes
1/07/2009 186 84 383 was still drinking thou enzymes is not go up much
29/07/2009 139 74 207 stopped alcohol consumption
12/08/2009 < 120 < 55 144 stopped alcohol consumption
11/11/2009 197 106 466 small alcohol consumption

As you an see mine have done very similar readings as yours and seem to be touchy to moderate alcohol consumption. I do not believe alcohol is the root because thou, so any feedback as to your situation would be appreciated

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here