Question: Polyps

anprdp - Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:33 pm

I am a 29 year old female. I had a colonoscopy in Feb. 06 where my doctor discovered a lot of polyps and among them two very large ones. I had a laproscopic right side hemicolectomy in March 06 and a laproscopic removal of abscesses right after that. When I asked my doctor how someone my age could have these she replied it was my genetics and that I would have to be screened once a year.

My question is what is the chance that I could have large polyps again in my screening in Feb. 07? I am curious if this genetic role will cause them to grow large fast and do I have a lifetime to look forward to of having my colon taken out one part at a time.

Thanks,
Angelia
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:46 pm

It would be helpful if you can inform us about the results of the pathological study for the removed polyps,
your family history, and
any other tests done for diagnosis of your case like genetic studies.

A variety of polyposis syndromes can affect the GI tract and are divided as:

- Familial inherited (autosomal dominant) or
- Non familial.

The inherited polyposis syndromes are further divided into
-Adenomatous: (like the classic familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP))

- Hamartomatous: (like juvenile polyposis syndrome). Family history may not be present,(is more likely to be your diagnosis).

Recommendations for patient with Juvenile Polyposis include an upper and lower endoscopy every year, If no polyps are seen the examinations can be done less often (every two to three years) since the risk for cancer in small although significant.

Keep us updated.
 anprdp - Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:45 pm

All that I was told after the colon resection was that they were adenomas and that they were not yet cancerous, but they were the type to form cancer. Now I have yet another problem to add on top of this impending colonoscopy. I have diabetes type 2 and have been put on Advandamet x 2 a day. Not sure how this medicine and my diet will tie into the prep procedure for the test coming up in Feb. What should I expect with all this related to the test?

anprdp - Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:46 pm

Sorry, also no gentic testing has been done and as far as I know no one in my family has had colon cancer or diseases of the colon, but I don't think many of them have gone for the tests.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:49 pm

User avatar
My question is what is the chance that I could have large polyps again in my screening in Feb. 07?

The pathological segment of colon has already been removed. There are many types of polyps but in your case they seem to be the precancerous ones. Its good that they were removed at appropriate time. Your stress is understandable but trust me, it could have been worse.

I am curious if this genetic role will cause them to grow large fast and do I have a lifetime to look forward to of having my colon taken out one part at a time.

Colonectomy won't be done each and every time :)

Its just that these kind of polyps have a tendency to recur. So its very important to be vigilant. Your doctor has rightly adviced you colonoscopy. Timely intervention helps big time as was done once in your case.

All that I was told after the colon resection was that they were adenomas and that they were not yet cancerous, but they were the type to form cancer.

Ideally all adenomas are to be removed as the are precancerous.

Now I have yet another problem to add on top of this impending colonoscopy. I have diabetes type 2 and have been put on Advandamet x 2 a day. Not sure how this medicine and my diet will tie into the prep procedure for the test coming up in Feb. What should I expect with all this related to the test?

Maintaining blood sugar within normal range should be one of the prime aims forever. The abscess which you developed could have been due to diabetes or prediabetes itself.

If possible try to communicate with the doc who will be performing the procedure in feb and tell him about the diabetes status.

Avoid Avandamet one the day you wont be having meals (eg. nil orally during prep). Avandamet lowers sugar and can cause hypoglycemia.

Advice regarding diet (with respect to polyps):-

Have high fibrous diet
Avoid red meat.

Lastly, you are in a difficult phase of life. But it will pass soon. Try to come out of it and get on with life as soon as possible. It will be good not only for your own self but also for the ones who love you.

Wish you best luck.

|