News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sharp, Stabbing Pain in Abdomen

Sondra13 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:56 am

For the past few months, I have been having severe stomach cramping each day when I eat for the first time, and sometimes the second time as well. I thought nothing of it, though it is extremely painful. About two weeks ago, however, I began having sharp, stabbing pain on my left side, about two inches below my ribcage and slightly to the left (approximately 5 inches from my belly button). The pain comes and goes, lasting approximately five to fifteen seconds. I described it to my fiance as feeling like "someone was slicing and stabbing my insides with a knife."
I looked this problem up online and saw some references to mono (which I had-according to one doctor- about a year ago), and an enlarged spleen (my 2 year old niece and nephew jump on me sometimes...I mention this only because of what I read on other sites). Anyway, I don't have medical insurance and don't want to go to the doctor or ER for no reason. Do you think it is something serious?
Thank-you for your time and any possible assistance that you may be able to render.
Sincerely,
Sondra
Sex: Female
Past Diagnoses/Surgeries: I need surgery to remove ovarian cysts and pilonidal cysts, as well as root canals (which I assume are unrelated!) I have severe back pain (dating from a car accident in 10/1999 and exacberrated in 3/2006)
Family History: Nothing I can think of that would relate...unless colon cancer?
Medications: Some narcotic pain relievers for back pain.

P.S. I apologize for the length of this post, but wanted to ensure that all information that may be related to any problem I may have was included.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:30 pm

User avatar Hello,

Sharp burning pain in upper abdomen (mainly left side) or lower chest (behind the breast bone) is more likely to be of one of the following conditions:
Gastric problems:
- GERD
- Gastritis due to H pylori or Drug induced (NSAID)
or gastric ulcer.
The pain is worsened when the stomach is empty , or by spicy foods or carbonated beverages and temporary relieved by simple foods and antacids.

I would consider Gastritis in your cases as you have mentioned that you are receiving Analgesics (NSAID) for the back pain.

Other causes for exclusion are:
- IBS may also give similar clinical picture, like
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension

Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

I did not get well the information about splenomegally. splenomegally may cause dull aching pain in the left hypochondrium.

Hope you find this information useful.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to consult your doctor for proper management.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here