Question: Umbilical Hernia

jostha2006 - Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:55 am

I am 31, male and have had an umbilical hernia for 4 years. two years ago it flared up but after a late night at the ER was told that it was not a problem. Since two days ago i have had occasional dull pain, maybe a level 2 not extreme. I have had mild constipation and lack of enterest in eating. No vomiting, or nausea, i have had a slight cramp feeling. I can pass gass, but feel a bubbly feeling around the hernia sac prior to this. I had two bowel movements yesterday but havent eaten much so i had a small one today that took effort to complete. Is this something that I need to go to the ER for, or just schedule to see my Doctor after Christmas?

Thanks![/b]
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Hernia is protrusion of part of the intestinal content(loop of intestine or omentum) into a defect (the linea alba in paraumblical hernia)

The defect in such case tends to be small thus it is more likely to be painful and liable to strangulate.

Any tenderness or skin color changes, or increasing bulg, GI problems may be a sign of strangulation which require immediate surgical repair.

I advise you to contact your Doctor as soon as possible for proper management.

jostha2006 - Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:12 pm

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't believe it has been strangulated, as I can still with some effort push it back into the oriface. about 4 months ago it turned pinker than usual and has since mainitained that color.

Should i go to ER or just visit the Doctor in the morning?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:35 pm

Yes, Direct clinical examination is essential to exclude complications that warrants immediate interference.

Bestr egards.

|