Question: can this be harmful?

chosen1 - Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:55 pm

Im a 17 year old female. I been eating obsessively for about 6 years. I know this is bad for your teeth and is a sign of an iron deficiency. But lately, ill eat ice and my stomach begins to cramp up and I have to use the bathroom. Can eating too much ice interfere with your organs?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:42 pm

Dear Chosen1,

You can not tell if you have iron deficiency anemia or not without having at least a complete blood picture. You are at a beatiful age,17 and you should look after yourself.Why are you eating obsessively?!

regarding your query, do you have diarrohea? well,,if you eat icecream (very cold food) on an empty stomach, that can sometimes cause cramps...as for going to the bathroom, does it only happen when you eat icecream?! I guess it is phsycological then.

Please look after yourself and try to know why you have that eating behaviour...that is unhealthy . Try to play regular sports and eat lots of vegetables and fruits (containing fibres) to help keep your gastrointestinal system healthy.
 chosen1 - Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:12 pm

My mistake I meant that Ive been eating ice obsessively for 6 years. Not icecream but ice. Is the coldness effecting my organs? My stomach cramps but no diarrohea. But when it happens my waste is softer than usual.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:33 pm

Dear Chosen1,

So you are eating Ice ? in an excessive way...and on empty stomach sometimes? well, Imagine that you have a hot pan (your stomach) and you put ice on it all of a sudden continusously, what would happen to that pan?! Its walls can be eroded and might change its configuration,which is something we do not want... not that it has been proven scientifically, but it is logically....if you want to eat ice, that is ok, but just don't eat it on empty stomach ,ok?

Sometimes people when they drink cold water as soon as they wake up in the morning or during the night they get something called a vasovagal attack and they faint...so it really depends on your body metabolism,its tolerance to cold food(although it is not healthy) and how well you are dealing with it...and I can see your stomach protesting in the form of cramps.

|