Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Terry's nails

Kaylak01 - Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:02 am

I am 36 and female with a bad history of alcohol abuse from age 20 to 30 until my kids were born. Since then I only drink maybe once a week. I went to my doctor two years ago with pain in my right side and had an abdominal ultrasound which was normal. I have Terry's nails on my toenails which my doctor saw and confirmed. I have had about three liver function tests and one CBC done over the past year which were all normal. I had an abdominal/ pelvic ct done in the last month which said the liver was normal in size and ct attenuation. There is a small cyst on the liver. The portal and hepatic veins were patent and there was no intrahepatic bile duct dialation or free fluid in the abdomen. The spleen was unremarkable. The gallbladder is collapsed. My fingernails are now starting to match my toenails, all white except for the distal band is pinkish or brownish. I have "paper money skin" on my chest and two very small spiders. No jaundice. My doctor has stated if I had liver problems it would have shown up in the bloodwork or ct scan and believes I am healthy and no follow up is required. I feel healthy but am concerned about the nail changes. My question is can you have Terry's nails at my age without liver problems or could we be missing something? I thank you for your response.
 bodave2 - Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:43 am

spider angiomas are in 10% of the population i wouldent freak out. Also the doc in here told someone in here that was worried about terrys nails that it was not an accurate way to tell if your liver is messed up becouse the link between them was noted back in the 50's and can not alone be a big deal, so if your liver function tests are normal i would rest easy. I am no doctor i just want to help ease your anxiety tell a doctor can post . =)
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:52 pm

Dear Kaylak01

I agree with bodave2, As long as your liver functions are ok, then we're on the right track,I'd advice you to take it easy on alcohol,and let's not make things worse,ok?

You say your liver functions are fine and your ultasound as well with no free fluids...I believe your situation is stable..you might have a little bit of low albumin level though. you need to eat well,get a healthy diet and life style and quit drinking alcohol to give your liver a chance to renew its cells if the ultrasound says that there has not become cirrhotic yet.

|