Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Serious liver problems?

worried2 - Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:03 pm

I am 33 male with a bad history of alcohol abuse (from 15 to 25 only weekends but heavy consumption sometimes) then until 30 maybe 5 or 7 times a year until last year when I quit completely. First of all I feel really bad with myself about all this body damaging and wish I could go back and change things. Since 28 I exercise every day, (cycling) eat completely healthy (mainly fruit, vegetables and fish, no fatty food, etc)

When I was 18 I had (the doctor said then liver inflammation, never called other way such as hepatitis) Then I stopped completely and have diet for about 6 months.

In the last 5 years I have been checking my liver regularly and Doctor has said always that everything was ok. (Two times I had AST above its limit (39 once and 46 but I think was just after one of this 5 or 7 times a year) and nothing else. What it has been found regularly is cholesterol LDL around 120. (I attribute this to something with the liver as I do exercise and eat healthy every day). Also have had lots of ultrasounds of the liver and everything has been ok.
I was feeling very healthy and as said I exercise every day and even was participating in competitions but three weeks ago I started to read on the internet about cirrhosis and since then I have lots of anxiety, can’t sleep or do anything else because I am completely scared with the possibility of having it. I don’t know if it is my imagination but I feel I have some of the symptoms. I have visited two doctors and all said there is nothing to worry because to have severe liver damage I would have had to drink every day for a lot of years and not only weekends. But I know that it could happen other ways also and then I think something wrong is happening.

In my last analysis bilirubin was above its level. Direct 0.4 indirect 1.6 (haemoglobin and anything else in the CBC was correct) (last year my bilirrubin was ok before I quit completely) ALT 25, AST 23, GGT 16, Alkaline Phosphatase 143 (70-279), Iron 99 (60-160).urea 30(20-50) creatinin 1,08 (<1,3) Time of Prothrombin and proteinogram was ok. these have worried me a lot.
Other Symptoms that I have sometimes not always (now I feel it more) I have small disturbance on the liver area below the rib. My stools are soft and clear brown and I go every day to the toilet, sometimes just after having breakfast. I have noticed lately that I have dry mouth and when I eat something it decreases but I have to drink a lot of water to feel better. Sometimes the palm of my hands are red and my face seems to have good color like a suntan which the doctors interpret as a healthy sign but I know I haven’t seen the sun lately. My nails doesn’t look bad but seem a bit white and pink. And today I have had my arms sleep because of having them above my head in the couch and when I have realised the palm of my hand seemed to have spider veins that have disappeared in minutes.

I don’t know if everything is caused by the high anxiety lately or if I have to go a bit further in the investigations. I know a biopsy is high risk and doctor would discourage it with this analysis but I can’t live this way, thinking all the time and punishing myself for being so stupid when I was younger.
It should be obvious that my liver it is not going to be as healthy as one no drinker but Do you think I have a more serious problem??? Any help would be very much appreciated.

P.D Have you hear about fibroscan? I think it is like a scan but it can measure fibrosis but have no idea where to do this. Sorry for the long post but I needed to talk with someone and hope this helps to other people.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:50 pm

I agree with your Doctor, there is no need for too much worry but regular follow up is mandatory.

Your enzymes level are within the normal range. They are good indicator for liver damage and injury. Even isolated rise is not something to worry about, persistent or rising levels are significant.

Normal levels of
Direct bilirubin: 0 to 0.3 mg/dl
Total bilirubin: 0.3 to 1.9 mg/dl

Thus your results show mild elevation and should be repeated to confirm the results.

Direct bilirubin elevation is more related to disorders in the biliary system, if both are elevated, liver damage is the cause, and if the indirect form is more elevated, blood hemolysis should be excluded and examination for a hematoma in the body should be done since you exercises regularly.

Abdominal US is very helpful in evaluation of the liver.
I advise you to repeat your blood tests, do abdominal US and follow up with your Doctor.

|