Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: What could this be?

Will1950 - Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:50 pm

I'm 22, 5-6 and weigh about 130. Before I list my symptoms, I think it's important to say that I have had dry, itchy skin off/on for years, and also pain in the kidney area off/on for a few years, as well. I've been to the doctor once for the kidneys, they gave me some pills to take, and I guess it went away for a while, but comes and goes.

Now, for about 6-8 months, I have drank enough per week to be considered alcoholic. Recently, for two straight weeks, I binge-drank about three nights a week. On the third week, after binge drinking on Friday, I woke up with a dull pain/sore feeling on my right side, from the lower part of my ribs down near my waist.

For a few days, it was mainly just that dull pain/sore feeling. Then, after about three days, I started getting new problems. I started getting little chest pains on either side; taking a breath, exhaling would have a little pain. Also, I became short of breath and tired very quickly, to the point of feeling like I was going to pass out one day while walking around for an hour or so. Also, I started burping excessively.

It's been about two weeks now, haven't drank since two weeks ago Friday. Also, my kidney pains are coming back now, usually first thing in the morning. The shortness of breath and burping usually came with an odd feeling in my throat. Also, every now and then, my heart skips a beat, like fluttering a little bit. The dull pain is now only around for a few hours a day, as are the other symptoms.

Was wondering what this points more toward, liver, gallbladder, something else entirely? Have a doctor's appointment in a week, just going crazy wondering what might be wrong. Any ideas?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:07 pm

This sounds like, GERD resulting in esophagitis .

The anatomical relation between the diaphragm and the Lowe Esophageal Sphincter LES prevents the gastric acids to come up into the esophagus (reflux). Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest mainly in the morning. Others may experience burping, a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry Cough and Shortness of breath similar to Asthma.

Diagnosis is made by complete history taking, physical examination, investigations like Upper Endoscopy, Manometric studies, and other lab tests that can be recommended by the doctor accordingly.

Certain foods are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods. In addition smoking is one of he precipitating factors that should be avoided.
Psychological or emotional stress and Anxiety, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

Other causes like gastritis , gastric ulcer, gall bladder diseases and hepatic injury should be excluded as they give similar clinical picture..

Best regards

|