News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Home hemocult tests?

nucat78 - Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:32 am

I am a 51y.o. male, no family history colon CA, but a lot of IBS and duodenal ulcers in the family.

I'm curious about the accuracy of home tests for occult blood in the stool. A specific one has 5 test sheets - one control, one water quality and three tests - that you float on the water surface after a BM and check for a blue color on the test area.

Are these home test reasonably accurate? A friend (male) was dx'd with colon cancer at age 48 (although he had gross blood in his stool) and it's really frightened a number of us in our late 40s and early 50s.

Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:57 pm

User avatar Occult blood tests used in the office or hospital are quite sensitive for blood. Unfortunately, I am not aware of the specific brand of test you are referring to, but the test should come with some literature that should include accuracy data.

Off the top of my head, I would suspect such a test would be reasonable good; however, I cannot be sure. In general, a positive home test should be confirmed by a clinic or hospital test just to be safe. Also, you should follow up with your doctor on a regular basis for physical examinations, and if you develop any concerning symptoms.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here