Question: Constant stomach cramps, gas and overactive bowel

Anthony - Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:58 am

I have suffered the last few years with a stomach that gets painful and uncomfortable in the lower left of my stomach, it causes a lot of gas and sometimes a little bit of unusual looking fescies comes out with mucus on it. Also im never constapated but the exact opposite, I get a feeling I need to go a lot and its a horrible feeling. When I go to the toilet each day my fescie is rarely hard and normally comes out sloppy and in a burst of gas. Many foods make it worse, I have been told it may be ibs by doctors but nothing they give me helps me. I take painkillers called mersyndol daystrength at least 1 daily which help it and also constapate me up a bit so I don't get the horrible feeling of needing to go all the time. It has really affected my life, I have tried cutting all foods out but am unable to get rid of it at all. I am going to book in sometime to get a camera up my anus to see if it can find any problems.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested.

The common causes of excess gas and burping are
-Irritable bowel syndrome
-Eating certain types of food that are not easily digested.
-Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance).

According to your description, You probably experience a form of IBS.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.

The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint off one of the following symptoms:
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them

Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea .

Stress and anxiety alone can cause similar symptoms as well as increases the frequency and the severity of IBS symptoms in almost all cases.

Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history, physical examination, and exclusion of other causes that give similar clinical picture like GERD, gastritis, indigestion, and gall bladder disease, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis.

Direct clinical examination is essential.

|