Question: Acid Reflux or Heart Disease

Lisa - Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:18 pm

I am a 47 year old female with on and off problems with heartburn and belching and tightness in my chest, which is usually relieved a good bit by belching. The only past surgery I have had is a c-section and that almost 25 years ago. The only family history of disease in my birth family is alzheimers disease, diabetes and gallbladder disease. I am currently on 40mg Protonix. 5 weeks ago I developed a bad stomach ache and I all of a sudden had a severe bout of vomiting right behind it, I vomited 5 or 6 times straight. My upper abdominal area has been sore ever since and tight, and I think that is due to a lot of stress from worry. I have noticed upon bending over sometimes burning behind my breastbone. I also experience gurgling in my upper abdomen and behind my breastbone. Even occasional hiccuping and belching at the same time. And tenderness in the middle of my upper abdomen. I am due to see my gastroenterologist Thursday. If this is reflux, doesn't it usually make you belch acid up into your esophagus and leave a sour taste in your mouth, because if this is so, I do not have that problem. I was having to prop up on a wedge pillow to sleep at night during this spell, as my chest on several different occasions burned so badly when I was lying flat I had to prop up. I have had no more vomiting. Just that one episode but do notice a rapid heartbeat at times, which I feel may be due to anxiety since this has me highly stressed, but am not sure. I also notice what feels like something sticking me inside in the upper area of my abdomen and behind my breastbone. Any idea what this could be? I have experienced this before in the past, but not this bad. And even though it has improved the sticking feeling I am having in my upper abdomen is annoying. Thanks.
 edenton - Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:05 am

Lisa,

First off I am not a doctor nor do I have any medical training.

However, many of the symptoms you have are very similar to mine. I had several heart tests done and they found nothing. Prior to my GERD dianosis, I had daily heartburn. Then it became chest pain, belching and other stomach issues.

One thing I do know: Worrying about this seems to significantly compound the problem. I am convinced that a lot of my problems were caused by my excessive worry. This stuff is treatable and maybe it will just take a dianosis and then finding the right medicine. Protonix did not work long for me, but there are other things out there.

Good Luck

|